This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing Windows without a disk drive

#1Deaths_BladePosted 1/29/2014 12:48:26 PM
I'm currently building a new PC. It seems to work fine, but it won't register my external disk drive [Apple Superdrive] so I can install Windows 7. Can I simply format a USB stick in FAT32, create a disk image of my Windows 7 disk, and boot from that to install?
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#2Love_Me_SexyPosted 1/29/2014 12:51:07 PM
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
---
Intel 4930k || Asus X79 Deluxe || MSI 760 4GB || Kingston HyperX 16GB RAM + 240GB SSD || Thermaltake 1200w PSU
PC Wishlist: 27" GSync, KB
#3Deaths_Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2014 1:00:02 PM
I should have been clear: I only have access to a Mac, so I can't use the Windows download tool. however, I can create disk images etc, so could I create a disc image of my install disk, then put that onto a USB stick?
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#4PraetorXynPosted 1/29/2014 1:05:27 PM
It can be done manually with whatever partition manager you have on OS X. I'm assuming gparted wouldn't be there.

It's a pain in the ass though. Much easier to use Rufus on a windows machine. That Microsoft tool has never worked for me anyway, but Rufus is fast and supports EFI installs with GPT partitions among other nice things.

You can also try to find multiboot creators. There are plenty of ways to create MultiBoot installers with Windows as a selection on Linux, not sure about OS X as it's Unix.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#5ShubPosted 1/29/2014 1:05:58 PM
I've never tried it but you may be able to use Boot Camp Assistant to create a bootable USB drive from a Windows 7 ISO, much like what Microsoft's tool would do.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6Deaths_Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2014 1:59:39 PM
Shub posted...
I've never tried it but you may be able to use Boot Camp Assistant to create a bootable USB drive from a Windows 7 ISO, much like what Microsoft's tool would do.

Good idea, I'll try this one when I get the chance.
---