This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is now a bad time to upgrade?

#1temgunPosted 1/30/2014 3:50:10 PM
With Maxwell in the horizon and all, is this a bad time to upgrade? I'm kinda sick of my old set up (Phenom something old, HD 6850) and I've been waiting for Maxwell before I upgrade, but it looks like it won't be available before March and I want a new build before that with Dark Souls 2 and other games coming out. Should I just pull the trigger right now or still wait for Maxwell? I don't know, it feels like it's going to be a big step with new architecture and 20 nm.
#2Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/30/2014 4:04:29 PM
I don't think we'll see Maxwell's flagship until next year, Nvidia releases products to > AMD, right now AMD's next lineup isn't going to the board members until the end of 2014, so Nvidia has no reason to release when they're holding down top tier cards but they are supposedly releasing a 750ti based on Maxwell, still 28nm tho and from the leaked benchmarks it's not all that great.

So to make it short, Nvidia has no reason to release the 800 series, they may make some more variations or release a few mid range Maxwell but they really have no reason to release their flagship anytime soon.

Intel's soon to come CPUs this next release are just repackaged Haswell. So it's really up to you, but waiting around for the next best thing only leaves you waiting forever because there will always be something new.
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#3GalaxyNexusPosted 1/30/2014 4:16:02 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
I don't think we'll see Maxwell's flagship until next year, Nvidia releases products to > AMD, right now AMD's next lineup isn't going to the board members until the end of 2014, so Nvidia has no reason to release when they're holding down top tier cards but they are supposedly releasing a 750ti based on Maxwell, still 28nm tho and from the leaked benchmarks it's not all that great.

So to make it short, Nvidia has no reason to release the 800 series, they may make some more variations or release a few mid range Maxwell but they really have no reason to release their flagship anytime soon.

Intel's soon to come CPUs this next release are just repackaged Haswell. So it's really up to you, but waiting around for the next best thing only leaves you waiting forever because there will always be something new.

I wish they released it to gain more profits with the people who always want the latest and greatest. I hate how they hold back innovation because they're just playing the waiting game with AMD.
#4r0ge00Posted 1/30/2014 4:17:20 PM
That's just something Nvidia fanboys say to make AMD look bad.
#5blax34dmPosted 1/30/2014 4:44:53 PM
I think now's a pretty great time to upgrade though you just missed the huge holiday sales.

Grab a 4670 or 4770 and a 780 or 770 on the cheap and you're set til they actually bring out the new stuff AND it becomes sensible to buy price-wise.
#6PsythikPosted 1/30/2014 6:22:56 PM
On the contrary, if anything now's the best time to upgrade:

1. Prices will be at their lowest ever as old stock is cleared out to make way for the new
2. The next generation of parts will be overpriced for the first couple of years.
---
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#7Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/30/2014 6:41:31 PM
r0ge00 posted...
That's just something Nvidia fanboys say to make AMD look bad.

Really? Like waiting a couple weeks after the 290X to launch and then destroying it with the 780 ti? Nvidia just holds on to crap until they need to release it, they'll release it when sales drop considerably or AMD releases something new
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You