This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got a huge tax return, trying to decide what to do upgrade wise.

#21AcquirePosted 1/30/2014 9:15:54 PM
wildog2006 posted...
Some of us aren't so strapped for cash that we need every penny right away. Sure, I could put it to better use myself, but I also don't want to have to worry about owing anything at the end of the year. Once I had a mailman that wouldn't take my mail for some reason, said the postage was invalid or something, and it just so happened to be the tax return that I owed money on. I had to file a complaint on him to get them to finally take it.

Just file your taxes online and have them direct deposit to your bank account. As far as overpaying the government goes. You should try to make it more or less even, unless you really have issues with keeping a budget or don't do any form of saving/investing, in which case you should look into trying to fix those problems instead of just overpaying every year.

To answer the TC's original question. I would buy the new Asus 1440p g sync monitor that's coming out. I suspect that will be a great investment for many years to come.

My plan this year is new motherboard, new cpu (intel i7 5770k), new gpu (gtx 880 ish), and that new monitor.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#22gsf4lyfe(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 10:04:27 AM
R_Brock posted...

I suggest you upgrade your tax information with your employer so that you keep more of your money per paycheck and stop overpaying the government.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/personal-income-taxes/10-tax-refund-myths.htm#page=2

It's actually because of that $2,000 education tax credit, but I've already paid for school with money I earned at the job I was at prior to returning to school full time in the fall. I'm pretty well versed in personal finance.
---
FX 6300 @ 4.0Ghz | GTX 760 | AsRock 970 Extreme3 | 120 GB 840 EVO | 2x4GB RAM @ 1600Mhz | CX 500m
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#23gsf4lyfe(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 10:10:55 AM
ToastyOne posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
My board doesn't support SLI, and I am getting a new CPU regardless. I have too many issues in CPU bound games that aren't multithreaded.

Just out of curiosity, which games is that FX6300 struggling with?

I get fluctuating framerates and stuttering in Civ V, and Deus Ex: HR, have to play Planetside 2 on lower settings than I would like. There are several others but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Those spring immediately to mind because I'm more or less always playing Civ and Planetside, and I'm currently playing Deus Ex.
---
FX 6300 @ 4.0Ghz | GTX 760 | AsRock 970 Extreme3 | 120 GB 840 EVO | 2x4GB RAM @ 1600Mhz | CX 500m
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#24SlaynPosted 1/31/2014 2:18:27 PM
gsf4lyfe posted...
R_Brock posted...

I suggest you upgrade your tax information with your employer so that you keep more of your money per paycheck and stop overpaying the government.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/personal-income-taxes/10-tax-refund-myths.htm#page=2

It's actually because of that $2,000 education tax credit, but I've already paid for school with money I earned at the job I was at prior to returning to school full time in the fall. I'm pretty well versed in personal finance.

Same here, I just write off school so I usually get a big ol return.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#25Ch3wyPosted 1/31/2014 2:21:38 PM
I owed $100 before the credit for paying student loan interest so I was proud of my company.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#26Sergei_DukanovPosted 1/31/2014 2:23:23 PM
Im buying an actual monitor and another R9 290. And turbo for my car. PC is nice, but car is nicer.
---
FX8350 oc'ed 4.8ghz| Kraken X60| SA R9 290| ASRock 990fx Extreme9| 16 gigs ripjaws ddr3| Evo 240GB ssd| 1TB cuda'| antec 750W| NZXT Phantom
#27SpacewhizguyPosted 2/3/2014 1:39:57 AM
gsf4lyfe posted...

If you were actually well versed in personal finance, you shouldn't have to rely on a tax return in order to buy stuff. Saving money might sound strange, but it's a good concept to practice.
---
What's a sig?