This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MMO's and Emergent game play.

#1PezofpowerPosted 1/30/2014 9:01:53 PM
So as I'm sure more than a few of you know, a gigantic battle spread across EVE online earlier in the week, and has since concluded. The in game damages totaled about $116,000 in game time.

On the most basic level,It consisted of players simply coming together over a relevant reason in the game world to propel them into action. This emergent game play (I hate peter whats his face but this is important.) Is something I feel should exist in more Massively multiplayer games.

I can think of two other examples of emergent game play that don't exist in the MMO market today.

The first is The Horde or Alliance players in WoW banning together to inconvenience the opposite faction. The most notable use of this is slaying auctioneers, which disables people from performing market transactions.

The second is the Ninja Job from FFXI, which was designed as a damage dealing class but the community grafted it into a tanking class via it's Utsusemi ability, which was a very potent form of damage mitigation.

What are some emergent game play elements that would get you into/back into the scene?

Things that have real life consequences for other people, but don't ruin their experience and enhance yours.
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 1/30/2014 9:06:49 PM
Tarren Mill RIP.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3jake-sfPosted 1/30/2014 9:09:56 PM
Emergent gameplay = real life consequences? I'm just not sure if you're really putting those as if they were the same, since your last example is emergent but has no "real life consequences", but that is what you're looking for according to your very last line. You confused me on that level.

Anyway.

Lets take one of your example. So what, I go in my city and the auctioneer is dead. Whatever. I'll wait whichever-amount-of-time, which is real life time wasted. That gameplay just meant that some people will have their time wasted needlessly because those Horde players got together and killed stuff.

Its not really "relevant" or "impactful", this is just a time waster. Its certainly not a big deal, back in my WoW time it was pretty damn rare this happened, but its not like it added anything to the game, except the sickening satisfaction that you're pissing people off around the planet for 30 minutes.

While EVE and its actions are probably more relevant, they are still just a giant pile of wasted time, and on the whole it just feels sad.

I certainly do not want games to be inspired toward that end. I don't go around caring that a few niche games have that sort of crap, but I don't want more.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#4DrelkagPosted 1/30/2014 9:11:21 PM
Interesting topic - have nothing to contribute since I don't play many MMO's, but find this stuff nice to read about.
---
Play hard or go home
#5BogePosted 1/30/2014 9:11:56 PM
None. PvP is stupid.
---
How I see nearly every GameFAQs user: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2WriEmH5c
#6Pezofpower(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 9:56:03 AM
jake-sf posted...
Emergent gameplay = real life consequences? I'm just not sure if you're really putting those as if they were the same, since your last example is emergent but has no "real life consequences", but that is what you're looking for according to your very last line. You confused me on that level.

Anyway.

Lets take one of your example. So what, I go in my city and the auctioneer is dead. Whatever. I'll wait whichever-amount-of-time, which is real life time wasted. That gameplay just meant that some people will have their time wasted needlessly because those Horde players got together and killed stuff.

Its not really "relevant" or "impactful", this is just a time waster. Its certainly not a big deal, back in my WoW time it was pretty damn rare this happened, but its not like it added anything to the game, except the sickening satisfaction that you're pissing people off around the planet for 30 minutes.

While EVE and its actions are probably more relevant, they are still just a giant pile of wasted time, and on the whole it just feels sad.

I certainly do not want games to be inspired toward that end. I don't go around caring that a few niche games have that sort of crap, but I don't want more.

It is relevant or impactful, just because you devalue your time playing WoW doesn't mean everyone does. Some people can only put in a couple hours a day, so spending 5-10 minutes waiting on a respawn is a substantial time investment. Thus if someone kills an auctioneer, they are having an impact on your real life experiences with the game.

The fact that you need the creator of the game to make your entire experience is pretty sickening. Why don't you just unsub from your MMO's and drive to the nearest amusement park. It's the same experience at that point.
#7MonkeymagePosted 1/31/2014 10:03:53 AM
Pezofpower posted...
jake-sf posted...

Anyway.

It is relevant or impactful, just because you devalue your time playing WoW doesn't mean everyone does. Some people can only put in a couple hours a day, so spending 5-10 minutes waiting on a respawn is a substantial time investment. Thus if someone kills an auctioneer, they are having an impact on your real life experiences with the game.

The fact that you need the creator of the game to make your entire experience is pretty sickening. Why don't you just unsub from your MMO's and drive to the nearest amusement park. It's the same experience at that point.

You should probably just play Second Life.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#8Pezofpower(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 12:50:37 PM
Monkeymage posted...
Pezofpower posted...
jake-sf posted...

Anyway.

You should probably just play Second Life.

lolno. Games in general should just handhold less.
#9MonkeymagePosted 1/31/2014 1:56:13 PM
Well then, why not a game where there is zero hand holding? Second Life. Problem solved. Have fun!
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#10jake-sfPosted 2/1/2014 10:27:01 AM
Pezofpower posted...

Pezofpower posted...

lolno. Games in general should just handhold less.

You confuse quite a few gaming principles together in your "attack" and I have no idea how to defend against it.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/