This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: Do you use review scores from your #1 source or metareview scores?

#11ThePonyColliePosted 1/31/2014 1:39:48 AM
I only check out YouTube if I'm interested in a game.
#12NemerlightPosted 1/31/2014 2:45:47 AM
AlleRacing posted...
Neither. Relying on review scores is a crap shoot at best.

It saved me from buying games like Brink or that crappy Alien game.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#13ein311Posted 1/31/2014 3:01:38 AM
I check metacritic, Game Revolution (if applicable) and look up gameplay videos.

If there's a demo, yay.

Most of the time I just get recommended from someone I know and I do that, though.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#14CatToyPosted 1/31/2014 3:12:57 AM
I usually have a pretty good idea if I want to buy a game or not before hand, unless I hear something terrible (X Rebirth for example). If it's a game I'm not familiar with, I'll check a few reviews, find out if there happens to be anything people agree sucks, and decide if it matters enough to me.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#15akuma634Posted 1/31/2014 6:02:45 AM
I'll look at the gaming websites I frequent. Meta review sites aren't a better source, its ok for a general consensus but it doesn't take much to get a review on a meta site, like what credibility do a lot of these reviewers have? Its also funny when you look at the user ratings, like 25 critics give the game a 9.5 and the user score is 2.3 because of some fickle bitter gamers.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#16akuma634Posted 1/31/2014 6:04:28 AM
AlleRacing posted...
Neither. Relying on review scores is a crap shoot at best.

Blind buying is a much bigger risk. I remember back when the only source of knowing of a game was good or not was Nintendo Power and you couldn't always get a review of everything. As a kid, I ended up with some real dud games. Looking at a review for some general idea is a good start, just don't expect the reviewer to be infallible.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#17MarceloSampaioPosted 1/31/2014 6:20:18 AM
I don't really care for review scores. I usually look at some gameplay videos and trailers to see if the game interests me.

I've played and loved games that got scores as low as 2, and I've also played games that got 8+ that I hated.

Scores mean nothing in a world where people have soo many different opinions.
---
If Mario was made for PCs:
http://i.imgur.com/quKMdjB.jpg
#18KCGeminiPosted 1/31/2014 6:37:18 AM
I typically go like this:

My interest in a game/series > Friend recommendations > User reviews > Professional reviews
---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#19este914Posted 1/31/2014 6:38:43 AM
Where is the neither option?? Poll failed.
---
~-> este914 <-~
Mind Over Matter.
#20clowningPosted 1/31/2014 6:57:18 AM
I ignore scores, they are meaningless.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle