This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: Do you use review scores from your #1 source or metareview scores?

#21SinisterSlayPosted 1/31/2014 7:48:25 AM
Angry Joe provides all my reviews.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#22PhilOnDezPosted 1/31/2014 7:58:12 AM
I mostly just buy what's on sale if it seems interesting or if I see something that looks fun on Game Grumps/Steam Train or something. I've actually bought quite a few games they've played on there, a lot of indie stuff that I'd never heard of mostly but a few bigger name games.

I do make semi-blind purchases as well, mostly sequels to games that I loved.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#23AlleRacingPosted 1/31/2014 11:09:53 AM
akuma634 posted...
AlleRacing posted...
Neither. Relying on review scores is a crap shoot at best.

Blind buying is a much bigger risk. I remember back when the only source of knowing of a game was good or not was Nintendo Power and you couldn't always get a review of everything. As a kid, I ended up with some real dud games. Looking at a review for some general idea is a good start, just don't expect the reviewer to be infallible.

ITP: disregarding review scores = blind buying

There are several other ways to discern the quality of a game before buying.

Nemerlight posted...
AlleRacing posted...

It saved me from buying games like Brink or that crappy Alien game.

You could have figured that out without Metacritic. Metacritic would suggest that you get Dragon Age 2.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#24Killah PriestPosted 1/31/2014 11:13:25 AM
I ignore all reviews and just play the game myself.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#25SnadadosPosted 1/31/2014 11:44:43 AM
Meta review sites for me.
I don't by any means take their word as law, but I trust them far more than random forum posters and spotlight seeking youtube people.

Users are far too untrustworthy.
They either fawn all over a game saying it is the second coming or they say it is total garbage that will kill your family if you buy it.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#26biohazard1775Posted 1/31/2014 11:49:26 AM
AlleRacing posted...

---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png
#27KillerTrufflePosted 1/31/2014 11:51:45 AM
I look at a variety of "pro" review sites, plus community reviews, plus gameplay videos, etc. The score doesn't matter to me so much as descriptions of gameplay and whether a majority of people had fun with the game or not.

Of course, I put demo gameplay above all else since I trust my own personal opinion better, but these days that tends to be rare.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#28PraetorXynPosted 1/31/2014 3:45:03 PM
If I look at reviews at all, I only look at user reviews. Professional reviewers pretty much give at least a 7 to everything, so it's hard to argue that isn't their agenda.

If I look at reviews, I only look at the very low score negative ones. All of the 9's and 10's saying "OMGZ THIS IZ DA BEST GAME EVA!" are pointless as it's obvious the ones giving them are too blind to see any flaws.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#29Master_BassPosted 1/31/2014 4:03:00 PM
Neither. I generally don't look at reviews, but if I'm on the fence I'll look around online to see what people/reviewers say. I don't have any preferred sites or anything, though.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#30Orestes417Posted 1/31/2014 4:04:56 PM
Numbers are worthless. Content of reviews, particularly with gameplay included carries more weight
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?