This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I wait for maxwell 800 series from Nvidia or get GTX 780 Ti now?

#1PowertranzPosted 1/30/2014 11:55:29 PM
I simply can't decide if it's worth waiting or if I should upgrade now? What do you guys think I should do?
---
Intel i7 4770k OC 14% | EVGA GTX 570 OC 5% | 8 GB DDR3 1866 | Windows 7 64-bit | 2 TB SATA | SilverStone 700W PSU ST70F-ES | Samsung 40" 1920x1080
#2AltmadragonPosted 1/30/2014 11:59:23 PM(edited)
780ti would last you a long time an you'll have the option to sli later if performance drops.

as for 800 series desktops wont see cards until a month or 2 after labtops get theirs an who knows when that will happen
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#3Itachi_12Posted 1/31/2014 1:38:45 AM
Just wait, there's nothing to lose if you do, prices of the 780ti MAY go down, and you get to see what the next chipset will look like. Your 570 right now is still a decent card, and unless its dying soon there is really no need to throw money away.
---
PSN: Mr_shank
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/31/2014 5:28:07 AM
I don't see Nvidia releasing much of anything better than the 780 ti anytime soon, they'll probably just sit on it and wait until AMD gets closer to releasing their 20nm gpu, which isn't until end of the year, first part of 2015.

If you follow them, you'll see how they operate.

Nvidia releases Titan to drain money from prockets, then decides to drop the 780 to compete a bit better with the 7970. 290X releases, even the 290 at $400(At the time) was better than a 780, so Nvidia dropped the price and released the 780 Ti, which they could have released that a long time ago if they wanted to.

Long as people are buying the products, Nvidia will not release anything other than the lower end Maxwell 28nm products (750 ti which is slower than a 660) and with the inflated costs of AMD cards due to mining, a lot of gamers are buying Nvidia now since the price is practically the same so Nvidia making bank off the mining, just as AMD, so other words.

Just buy now if you need it, if you don't, you can wait but you may be waiting for awhile.
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#5PhilOnDezPosted 1/31/2014 6:47:22 AM
There's a lot of speculation going on that the 750/750ti are basically a dry run into Maxwell territory on 28nm so that they can make sure there aren't any massive problems with the architecture prior to going full speed on the 20nm parts and that makes perfect sense to me. The 750ti won't be released for a few more weeks still and even then it'll need time in the wild for them to get any meaningful data from the release.

As for should you wait, unless GPGPU performance or maximum power efficiency are extremely important to you, I wouldn't. The GPGPU performance for Maxwell is probably going to be in a league of its own though, even just the low end cards next month. It'll still be a while before that power can be fully utilized though.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez