This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC gaming market to exceed $25 billion this year

#130aught6Posted 1/31/2014 2:41:27 AM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-28-pc-gaming-market-to-exceed-USD25-billion-this-year-dfc

AMD = $$$
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
#2NemerlightPosted 1/31/2014 2:43:18 AM
Total War: Rome II had solid performance

Thats a damn lie!
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#3g7g7g7g7Posted 1/31/2014 10:40:38 AM
Nemerlight posted...
Total War: Rome II had solid performance

Thats a damn lie!

I think it means sales performance, not actual in game performance lol.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#4PsythikPosted 1/31/2014 10:47:33 AM
This article confirms what I've been predicting all along: When the two major consoles use PC hardware, everybody wins.
---
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#5KabtheMentatPosted 1/31/2014 10:49:16 AM
Psythik posted...
This article confirms what I've been predicting all along: When the two major consoles use PC hardware, everybody wins.

Yeah, but just wait for the inevitable influx of "CONSOLE GAMING HOLDS PC GAMING BACK" comments.
---
"New" favorite song currently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WD0Hi3_nw
No, I'm not a lesbian.
#6kobalobasileusPosted 1/31/2014 12:32:47 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Psythik posted...

Yeah, but just wait for the inevitable influx of "CONSOLE GAMING HOLDS PC GAMING BACK" comments.

PC gaming NEEDS to be held back. The only reason PC gaming became a viable platform in the 7th Generation is all the multi-platform games allowing PC hardware to last more than a few months before upgrading.

The old stereotype of constantly having to dump money into expensive PC upgrades is based on fact. I remember PC gaming in the '90s. It sucked, because the requirements listed on the box were inaccurate and every new game would list ever higher requirements.

There is only a small fringe of the PC Master Race that actually looks back at the infinite upgrade treadmill with nostalgia. The ability to buy or build a Steam Machine and have it last for a few years before even thinking about an upgrade is a huge improvement over the old way.
#7PraetorXynPosted 1/31/2014 12:40:58 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Psythik posted...

PC gaming NEEDS to be held back. The only reason PC gaming became a viable platform in the 7th Generation is all the multi-platform games allowing PC hardware to last more than a few months before upgrading.

The old stereotype of constantly having to dump money into expensive PC upgrades is based on fact. I remember PC gaming in the '90s. It sucked, because the requirements listed on the box were inaccurate and every new game would list ever higher requirements.

There is only a small fringe of the PC Master Race that actually looks back at the infinite upgrade treadmill with nostalgia. The ability to buy or build a Steam Machine and have it last for a few years before even thinking about an upgrade is a huge improvement over the old way.

This is utter nonsense. There was never a need to upgrade every few months, or even every year. You could still go for 2-3 years if you were willing to lower the graphics slightly as your hardware got older. Just like now.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#8rusty12000Posted 1/31/2014 1:01:54 PM
My computer is starting to age, but even it can still most games on at least high. My poor computer could not handle farcry3 on ultra sadly.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#9SinisterSlayPosted 1/31/2014 1:08:12 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Psythik posted...

This is utter nonsense. There was never a need to upgrade every few months, or even every year. You could still go for 2-3 years if you were willing to lower the graphics slightly as your hardware got older. Just like now.

Exactly, my old p2 200mhz and ati rage 1 lasted from 1997 all the way to 2001 no problem, then got left behind pretty bad.
In 2003 I got a 2.8ghz machine and a 5200fx (later upgraded to 6600) and that lasted me until 2008 which is when that 6600 died, and I built a new machine that I am still using now.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10JKatarnPosted 1/31/2014 1:25:39 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Psythik posted...

Even back then as long as you had a decent machine you certainly weren't obligated to upgrade constantly, you'd just have to dial down the resolutions/settings for acceptable performance. Of course you could upgrade if you wanted to run a game say in SVGA mode (640x480+!!!!), but the games were perfectly playable with the settings dialed back. Also, any developer/publisher worth their salt knows that if they cater exclusively to the 2% of people with high-end machines they will make next to nothing, therefore, even if consoles weren't holding PC gaming back, most publishers would still be building/using scalable engines.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES