This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU holding me back?

#1mlataupePosted 1/31/2014 7:20:27 AM
Here's my set-up
MoBo : MSi P67A-G45
CPU : i5 2500k (didn't OC'd)
GPU : MSi GTX 770 2Gb
RAM : 4 x 4Gb 12800
HDD : 1Tb + 2x500Gb
Power Supply : OCZ 600W
Monitor : Old LG from 2006, 60Hz 1440x900

BF4 runs fine at 1440x900 60FPS on Ultra + 4XMSAA
But ACIV fluctuates between the higher 30s lower 50s on Max seetings with SSAA, HBAO on medium, V-sync off (I uwe D3Doverdrive for Vsync) and advanced PhysX Off.
I also had to compromise some of the settings on Metro LL to achieve close to 60FPS.

I used the Geforce Experience at first to set-up my games video option but could'nt come-up with satisfactory results in-game

Is this normal or are some elements of my set-up bottlenecking the in-game performance?
In this case I belive the prime suspect would be the CPU which is 3+-year-old.

tl; dr : Is my current CPU holding back the rest of ny set-up and should I upgrade to see significant increase in performance?

Also if I were to change my monitor to a Full HD display would I see a significant dip in performance with similar settings in my games at 1920x1080 for instance?
---
Xbox Live GT : m la taupe --- PSN : mlataupe --- Steam : mlataupe
Battle.net : mlataupe1978#2475 --- Origin : mlataupe
#2DerPancakePosted 1/31/2014 7:22:57 AM
Your cpu is fine.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#3ThePCElitistPosted 1/31/2014 7:32:29 AM(edited)
OC the 2500k to 4.5 Ghz and you will reduce any bottleneck that it might have. I still haven't played a game that choked my 2500k yet. Also your compromise for Metro:LL is normal because a GTX 770 2GB is not powerful enough to max the game out on Ultra at high resolutions. You need to SLI that card or run higher-end GPU's in SLI.
#4BuyersRemorse55Posted 1/31/2014 9:30:58 AM(edited)
ACIV is horribly optimized. If your having issues, its the game and not your computer.

Metro is one of the beefiest games to run. OC your cpu may help a bit or if you drop $500 on a gtx 780 but I don't think its worth it for that. Its just one of those games you need the top end stuff to run the game on ultra.

If you get a higher res monitor it will take more GPU power to display on that monitor so you will lose some performance. Overall, a GTX 770 is a very nice card, you should still be able to run battlefield 4, but its possible you may have to drop out of ultra, but AC4 and Metro will probably take a hit at that higher then what you get now.

You can always google for benchmarks for a gtx 770 on BF4 and see what they got at higher resolutions.
But for your average games where the requirements aren't so high it wont be an issue.
#5PsythikPosted 1/31/2014 10:54:45 AM(edited)
Right now your HDDs and graphics card are the only bottlenecks in your system. You can always get an SSD, but right now there's nothing much you can do about the graphics card unless you want to spend too much money for too little of a performance gain. The only thing you can really do is wait for more powerful cards to come out. Upgrading the CPU would be a waste of money unless you can really justify spending hundreds of dollars for a 1-2 FPS gain at the most.
---
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#6reincarnator07Posted 1/31/2014 11:44:42 AM
OC your CPU and you should be sorted.

I'd try and squeeze in an SSD and a nicer monitor though
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#7youshallbeasgodPosted 1/31/2014 1:48:38 PM(edited)
Tone down your environment quality and set shadows to very high (negligible visual difference). Also, put physx on low. Nice smoke effects when firing your guns. In my experience, Vsync off (even in the overrider and Control Panel) gives a much more stable framerate.

And yes, your CPU might be holding your frames back, but so far you only listed 2 games. In my opinion that's not enough for a new processor. Just play with the cards you have.
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/31/2014 1:50:42 PM
There isn't really a significant upgrade from 2500k. Overclocking will get you more of a benefit.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79