This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any relatively recent RPGs with really robust character creation.

#1AskeladdPosted 1/31/2014 12:41:04 PM
And by that, I mean being able to choose both class/play-style and appearance. Since Skyrim, the only RPG I have played is Guild Wars 2 (and I'm really not an MMORPG person, but I have had a lot of fun with that).

I have played the TES and (TES style) Fallout games (love them) and the Dragon Age games (don't love them). I don't like Mass Effect (or Bioware, in general, really), tried the demo for Kingdoms of Amalure and was not impressed and own Dark Souls but haven't really been able to get into it. I'll try an MMO assuming I can do so for free.

So are there any recent RPGs that are worth trying out?
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#2PraetorXynPosted 1/31/2014 1:07:44 PM
If by character creation you mean customizing his face and hair and all that stuff, I think you've pretty much covered everything I can think of.

If you're talking about character creation in the sense that you build a character's abilities the way you want to, there are tons of them.

Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven comes to mind. It's in a third person perspective so it's a little odd to get used to, but I think the setting and atmosphere are even better than those of Morrowind.

The first two Fallout gamesallow character creation, as does Arcanum which is a similar game created by the Fallout developers after they left Interplay.

Games that let you create characters but aren't exactly RPG's:
Deus Ex GOTY
Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy

Kind of drawing a blank TBH.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#3SonyHoundDawgPosted 1/31/2014 1:45:43 PM
Pretty much every MMO will give you character appeareance creation and skills trees of some sort.

Ones that are free to play

World of Warcraft (up to level 20)
Lord of the Rings Online
Everquest 2
Age of Conan
Aion
Tera (might be a good choice for the more actiony combat like GW2)

I know theres a lot more out there.

If your just looking for an RPG with skill trees and you get a pre set character then I would also highly recommend

Deus Ex Human Revolution

The fact you don't like bioware games makes it harder for me to recommend single player rpg's as I prefer a Dragon Age style RPG over open world Skyrim type of game.
#4SpazH3dPosted 1/31/2014 1:53:14 PM
I'm also looking for some singleplayer RPGs with amazing customization. It would be grand if more RPGs allowed you to shape the body too.
---
- My vision is augmented
#5sonic_man00Posted 1/31/2014 8:33:55 PM
Titan Quest. A little old, But that's nothing a little settings can't fix.
---
I'd play more MMOs if there was no chat.
#6Cool_Dude667Posted 1/31/2014 9:10:03 PM
Check out the Saint's Row series, I know its not a RPG but you can customize so much in those games.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#7Askeladd(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 9:22:16 AM
Thanks for the responses. I suppose I wasn't clear enough, but when I said customizing appearance I do mean your character's face and all of that.

@SonyHoundDawg

I tried all of those, and I am actually enjoying Age of Conan quite a bit, to my surprise. I like the setting and the combat.

@sonic_man00

I own that game, and it has no character appearance customization, but thanks, anyway. I actually do not like the gameplay, either. It feels very sluggish to me.

@Cool_Dude667

I think the customization in the SR games is pretty cool, but that is really all I like in that series.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#8ChromaticAngelPosted 2/1/2014 9:28:07 AM
Askeladd posted...
tried the demo for Kingdoms of Amalure and was not impressed

the demo was stupid and doesn't reflect how the game actually plays.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#9Bigj089Posted 2/1/2014 11:38:47 AM
ChromaticAngel posted...
Askeladd posted...
tried the demo for Kingdoms of Amalure and was not impressed

the demo was stupid and doesn't reflect how the game actually plays.

How does it not reflect how it plays? It's nearly the entire first area of the game, which plays just like the other areas. It is a bit buggier than the actual game but as far as gameplay and the like go it's exactly like the rest of it.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#10xBrokenxHaloxPosted 2/1/2014 2:43:41 PM
Just to add the the MMO's - Rift
---
Error. Human is dead, mismatch.