This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To people who have plasmas and have dealt with annoying image retention

#1Combo MasterPosted 1/31/2014 1:43:53 PM
When running the white bar scrolling bar to remove image retention does it help to have the brightness and contrast at 100 or could that possibly be bad? I am not able to find this info online. Also is it true if the image isn't viewable on the tv when it is turned off it cannot be permanently burned in?
---
Combo Master
#2Killah PriestPosted 1/31/2014 1:46:20 PM
I run it with 100/100

excessive use will age the panel faster but it won't damage it or anything.

Never had an image on the plasma display even when its off, don't think thats how it works.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3SinisterSlayPosted 1/31/2014 1:49:20 PM(edited)
New plasma's, don't run them at max brightness until they are broken in.

Image cleaners aren't terribly helpful, just watch some TV for a few hours.

Modern plasma's don't have phosphorus burn in anymore, its just image retention and it goes away after awhile.

I once got a really bad one from playing x-com interceptor and that radar screen. That image of the white screen left a star shape for a good week.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4Killah PriestPosted 1/31/2014 1:49:18 PM
I agree with watching TV for a few hours, I like to throw on a blu ray of a TV show which plays like 4-5 episodes in a row and do something else for a bit.

New plasma's, don't run them at max brightness until they are broken in.

he isn't talking about running the display at max brightness only the scrolling bar, which is just fine.
---
#5DV8ingSourcesPosted 1/31/2014 1:50:12 PM
The scrolling bar brightness shouldn't need to be adjusted and it likely overrides the default setting anyways. Burn in is near impossible in this day and age and only on a pure black area do you really notice the retention if its bad. I use my plasma everyday and have for about 4 years now and there is no issue. I game with static huds for upwards of 8 hours on occasion as well with no adverse affects besides some light retention.

How long have you had a static image on the screen and how new is the tv? Brand? Ideally to reduce retention, a burn in period of 200 hours is recommended and within that 200 hours, retention is much worse. It should take no longer than 2 hours of the scrolling bar to completely negate any retention.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#6Killah PriestPosted 1/31/2014 1:51:33 PM
The scrolling bar brightness shouldn't need to be adjusted and it likely overrides the default setting anyways.

I'm pretty sure thats true. It doesn't seem any brighter if I run it at 100/100 vs normal I just kinda do it out of habit.

Still it won't "break" anything it will just age your panel faster.
---
#7SinisterSlayPosted 1/31/2014 1:56:16 PM
Killah Priest posted...
The scrolling bar brightness shouldn't need to be adjusted and it likely overrides the default setting anyways.

I'm pretty sure thats true. It doesn't seem any brighter if I run it at 100/100 vs normal I just kinda do it out of habit.

Still it won't "break" anything it will just age your panel faster.

Yeah I'm not sure what that cleaner is really meant for, regular TV works fine.

Avoid channels with those logos, I constantly get space or spike stuck in the bottom right of my TV.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence