This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How are HP laptops?

#21chris1001 the sequel(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 6:34:09 PM(edited)
Shub posted...
Typically you encounter the problem with only being able to use Windows 8 because of Secure Boot, which you can usually disable in the BIOS. But then you install Windows 7 and you might encounter an issue with drivers not being available for Windows 7.

I just checked, they don't have any on the site. And I remember trying to get custom custom drivers on my current laptop being a pain in the ass. I'll just deal with Windows 8 basic(from what I hear it gets a littler more tolerable with each update) and put the money into a 1TB Hybrid hard drive.
#22ShubPosted 1/31/2014 6:34:45 PM
Windows 8 really isn't bad. Update it to 8.1 if it doesn't come with 8.1 out of the box, install third-party tools to make it more like Windows 7 if you're so inclined, and you'll be fine. You'll spend 99.9% of your time in Desktop mode anyway and rarely ever see the Start Screen.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#23EGMRULZPosted 1/31/2014 9:16:29 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
HP Laptops are designed to malfunction after a period of time.

^I sincerely agree that this is true. They are like ticking timebombs that become slower and dull with age.
---
PC & Consoles > Everything
#24PhilOnDezPosted 1/31/2014 9:29:27 PM(edited)
I've never had an HP laptop die on me aside from one that was repaired for free despite it being two years out of warranty. I have been through a few of them but the problem has always been the charger, and even then that wasn't always a malfunction, I know I cut the cable on one by closing it in the leg rest of a la-z-boy.

I'd never recommend one for gaming though, they run hotter than is what I consider reasonable just doing normal tasks. I've never used one of their professional grade laptops though so they may be nice.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#25x_stevey_xPosted 1/31/2014 9:28:46 PM
EGMRULZ posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
HP Laptops are designed to malfunction after a period of time.

^I sincerely agree that this is true. They are like ticking timebombs that become slower and dull with age.

lmao wow some people's brains
#26dementedlullabyPosted 1/31/2014 9:36:11 PM
I'm using a HP laptop and it's quite decent. Obviously my desktop is the proper computer but for a laptop I don't have any complaints aside from the heat. It does get rather hot, HP cool sense is useful and can be adjusted for the users needs. Not sure if all HP laptops have it or not?
---
XBL/PSN/NNID/Steam:DementedLullaby Origin:DL8286
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#27PhilOnDezPosted 1/31/2014 9:51:18 PM
Now that you mention Coolsense, that reminds me of my other complaint about their laptops, the only thing worse than their cooling systems is their proprietary software. I know I should have just nipped the bloat in the bud but I left it for a while on my last HP laptop. After about a month their software started crashing every time it tried to run.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez