This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any software recommendations for a new build and a quick question...

#1SoulreaperX112Posted 1/31/2014 4:16:42 PM
Got all my parts in yesterday so ill either being doing my build tonight or first thing tomorrow. had a long day so I figured would be better to do relaxed tomorrow but it feels like I am young again on christmas eve.

I have been using Malwarebytes and will again but should I use MSE with it or have Avast and AVG stepped up their game (have not looked too much into them both) and one surpasses the other.

Are there any fps and temperature monitoring softwares I should install along with a stress test software.

Any good video recording softwares for streaming I should look into (preferably free). Was going to use it mostly among the group of people I game with so it doesn't need to be the best quality (not looking to be a youtuber lol).

Lastly, but is unrelated to the topic title (did not want to make two topics), I will be using a anti-static braclet so do I only have to attach it to the case and then thats fine. I ask because I read something about plugging the psu in to the wall socket and turning the power switch off while connected to the case.
#2squarenixfan119Posted 1/31/2014 4:46:04 PM
CCleaner
HWMonitor
CrystalDiskInfo
CPUZ
GPUZ
MSI Afterburner
Classic Shell (If you use Windows 8+)
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2705976737.png
#3shuppet_is_dumbPosted 1/31/2014 4:48:02 PM
If you have a NVIDIA GPU, the best streaming software is Shadowplay, which comes with Geforce Experience and the GPU drivers. Also, good benchmarking programs are Furmark, Heaven Benchmark and 3DMark Demo.
---
3DS FC: 5370 0434 1134
i5 4670k l Geforce GTX 780ti
#4DeathblzPosted 1/31/2014 4:52:15 PM
Antivirus:

I would give Avast the edge over MSE because it has more features, even in its free version. Each program uses a slightly different method to protect against viruses. Avast is a bit more prone to false positives because of its detection methods, but it should theoretically offer a bit more protection that MSE. There's honestly not that much of a difference, but I think Avast just has a little bit more to offer.

FPS:

FRAPs (free version is fine) or MSI Afterburner work.

Temperature:

HWMonitor provides temps for pretty much everything. Some people prefer Core Temp for monitoring CPU temperatures. You can also use MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU temps and set up fan profiles (i.e., increase fan speeds to a certain point when your GPU reaches a specified temperature).

Streaming:

OBS works well enough. It crashes for some people, but it's free and works with popular streaming sites.

Anti-static:

Don't plug in the PSU. An earth ground won't help you here. What you need is to be on the same electrical level as what you're working with. Using an anti-static bracelet that is attached to the case is fine. Just make sure the alligator clip is attached to a metal part of the case. Even if you didn't have the bracelet, all you would need to do is touch the case every now and then.
---
Keep on charging the enemy so long as there is life.
#5PsythikPosted 1/31/2014 5:05:16 PM
Antivirus:
Neither. Windows Defender is more than adequate assuming you have common sense. (If you're using Windows 7, Defender only protects against spyware, so you'll need MSE as well.) A monthly scan with Malwarebytes to get what Defender misses.

Temp monitoring:
RealTemp for CPU & GPU temps. It displays them in the notification area which is nice. I scheduled a task so that it runs at boot.

SpeedFan for system temps. This isn't as important so I usually only run it occasionally to see how my fans are doing.

Stress test:
Prime95 for CPU
FurMark for GPU. Some people recommend OCCT, but while it works for my ATI GPU it doesn't seem to stress my nVidia card at all.

Video streaming:
If you have an nVidia GPU there's no reason why you shouldn't be using ShadowPlay. It's built-in to the card so using it doesn't impact FPS at all. Supports streaming, recording, and DVR-style retroactive recording.

The anti-static thing is just paranoia. All you have to do to keep yourself discharged is touch the case every few minutes.
---
4670k | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#6SoulreaperX112(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 7:12:39 PM(edited)
I am using a R9 270x card and will be running windows 7

I know the braclet is not needed but I figured it doesn't hurt since I tend to get shocked every now and again in the area where the desk I will building is on. My table top is made of fiberboard and has acrylic paint is that fine to work on?

Thanks for all the help I will take a look at all the programs everyone listed.
#7TheWayOfTheGunPosted 1/31/2014 7:52:53 PM(edited)
For Windows audio, Equalizer APO is an absolute must!

Download it here -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

It's doesn't have a GUI by default which isn't a big deal for audiophiles who know their frequencies well. However, someone just created a simple GUI for it and I highly recommend using it to get the best sound profile out of it.

Download it here -> http://linge-ma.ws/2013/12/equalizer-apo-config-gui/.

This software will push your overall gain, bass and mids to levels you never would of thought possible without hardware acceleration or proprietary software. With the right settings it actually doubles as a headphone amplifier. Well, almost.

---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#8TheWayOfTheGunPosted 1/31/2014 8:09:24 PM
Deathblz posted...
Antivirus:

I would give Avast the edge over MSE because it has more features, even in its free version. Each program uses a slightly different method to protect against viruses. Avast is a bit more prone to false positives because of its detection methods, but it should theoretically offer a bit more protection that MSE. There's honestly not that much of a difference, but I think Avast just has a little bit more to offer.

FPS:

FRAPs (free version is fine) or MSI Afterburner work.

Temperature:

HWMonitor provides temps for pretty much everything. Some people prefer Core Temp for monitoring CPU temperatures. You can also use MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU temps and set up fan profiles (i.e., increase fan speeds to a certain point when your GPU reaches a specified temperature).

Streaming:

OBS works well enough. It crashes for some people, but it's free and works with popular streaming sites.

Anti-static:

Don't plug in the PSU. An earth ground won't help you here. What you need is to be on the same electrical level as what you're working with. Using an anti-static bracelet that is attached to the case is fine. Just make sure the alligator clip is attached to a metal part of the case. Even if you didn't have the bracelet, all you would need to do is touch the case every now and then.

Or if you want to ghetto rig it like I did, just take a metal cord of any kind and stick on end into the ground of an outlet and the other around your ankle. Then again, I was super paranoid in a dry, carpeted area. If it's somewhat humid or hardwood/tile floors you have much less chance.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg