This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I was just playing Half Life 2 and was thinking..

#1CloudMacPosted 1/31/2014 6:21:29 PM
What it would be like if Valve made an open world first person RPG ala Fallout 3/NV (Maybe the Elder Scrolls series).
Yes like most other people I would rather they made HL 3/Portal 3/ L4D 3/ first but I'm just wondering whether anyone else thinks that the idea would be exciting (or not..).

Half Life 3 maybe?? ( joking)
---
Currently studying the art of lazyness...
#2electroflamePosted 1/31/2014 6:31:33 PM
HL 3/Portal 3/ L4D 3

Three 3's in a row.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#3Ch3wyPosted 1/31/2014 6:31:36 PM
It would be pretty cool if they made Skyrim.

They've never made anything bad before so why not.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#4Blobs_Posted 1/31/2014 6:41:06 PM
Although a Volvo exploration-esque game would be pretty cool, I don't think it would mix well with Half Life, due to half life being a bit more narrative based than other games. Maybe a new IP? :D

We can all hope. And pay our daily respects to the almighty gaben.
---
is haha
#5CloudMac(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 6:44:57 PM
electroflame posted...
HL 3/Portal 3/ L4D 3

Three 3's in a row.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

I gotta admit I laughed a little.

Blobs_ posted...
Although a Volvo exploration-esque game would be pretty cool, I don't think it would mix well with Half Life, due to half life being a bit more narrative based than other games. Maybe a new IP? :D

I was honestly joking about HL3, I was suggesting a new IP. :)
---
Currently studying the art of lazyness...
#6DragonRaizenPosted 1/31/2014 6:45:12 PM
Blobs_ posted...

Valve has explicitly said(ungh) - though I will never find the quote - that they are trying to tell a story with Half Life, something that doesn't quite well bode with that. They felt linearity was the best way to tell that story: they also ran into problems with branching paths, because people would go through one and immediately double back to go through the other one so they didn't miss anything.
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#7NingishzidaPosted 1/31/2014 7:42:16 PM
DragonRaizen posted...
Valve has explicitly said(ungh) - though I will never find the quote - that they are trying to tell a story with Half Life, something that doesn't quite well bode with that. They felt linearity was the best way to tell that story: they also ran into problems with branching paths, because people would go through one and immediately double back to go through the other one so they didn't miss anything.

unless of course, you know, you can't double back, like in most non-linear RPGs.

If you keep the paths branching, people also won't be able to quickload, as the choices compound and they'll be interested to know where the combination leads.

This is old news.
#8jake-sfPosted 1/31/2014 8:05:48 PM
I think open world like Skyrim inherently makes any games worse, so no. If they had any semblant of open world, it should be Metroid inspired, and thus not true open world. Even then, thats probably too far for Half-Life, which is story based and a game that uses its linearity at its finest.

Total non-linearity is the overrated concept of the century.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#9jokujokujokuPosted 1/31/2014 11:02:32 PM
Considering Valve has no experience with anything even remotely open-world, it doesn't really sound like a great idea to me.
#10Blobs_Posted 1/31/2014 11:49:18 PM
DragonRaizen posted...
Blobs_ posted...

That was my point.
---
is haha