This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help with getting info on RAM and BIOS (Typing/speed/paired?) *I'mconfused*

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 1/31/2014 7:46:12 PM
My PC info (W7-64-bit):
http://valid.canardpc.com/a3x2s5
*I plan to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB of RAM*

I know my PC is a bit old, but I was told by my brother if I got this info, he could get some RAM for my PC to help me until I can save up enough and upgrade everything at once, basically a new I-Build-myself-PC it's going to be.
*I already have plans for this PC after I buy/build a replacement, so having the extra RAM would help also.*

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
RAM type: DDR2-666 - Dual Channel
BIOS: Award Software International Inc. - F6 - 11/05/20

*If you need me to re-start my PC and take a picture of the BIOS screen or any other info you need, please just ask and I'll get that info for you.*

He told me to look into my BIOS screen, and then check what the motherboard can support/adjust to, but I'm at a loss as to what I'm looking for, where do I find this info at?

RAM timing
speed
voltage
pared or single
I'm guessing all this info he wants is the default settings and what the min/max you can adjust each of them to be is what he's asking about that he wants.

Can anyone please help me understand this?

Thanks in advance!
I wish I could just slap a ZOD rune on it, but sadly I don't think they make them for us ;/
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#2Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 10:46:53 AM
Does anyone know how I check/look into this at all?
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#3SlaynPosted 2/1/2014 10:59:22 AM
Don't bother.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#4godplaysSNESPosted 2/1/2014 11:20:00 AM
Any DDR2 should work. For gaming, faster RAM and dual channel have a minimal impact, so don't be too afraid of mixing.

With the latest BIOS, that motherboard supports the Core 2 Quads. If you can get one for cheap, and add a better graphics card, it would still be OK for modern games.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 12:23:18 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Any DDR2 should work. For gaming, faster RAM and dual channel have a minimal impact, so don't be too afraid of mixing.

With the latest BIOS, that motherboard supports the Core 2 Quads. If you can get one for cheap, and add a better graphics card, it would still be OK for modern games.

Ok, since I currently have 4 x DDR2 : PC2-5300 1GB....what is the minimal and max of the speed of RAM (as long as there DDR2s, right?) that my motherboard can use/support?

For example, I want to replace all 1GB RAM with 2GB RAM, what 'clock speed' (I think that's what it's called) should/can I get?
---
#6godplaysSNESPosted 2/1/2014 12:43:05 PM
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2599#sp

It says 8GB total, I suppose it's 2GB per slot. It says DDR2 1066 mhz is supported, but I'm 99% sure 800 mhz is the maximum enabled by default anyway.

But if you're going to get a new build soon anyway, don't get more RAM unless it's cheap. You won't be able to re-use it in a modern system, they require DDR3.
---
#7Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 1:32:17 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2599#sp

It says 8GB total, I suppose it's 2GB per slot. It says DDR2 1066 mhz is supported, but I'm 99% sure 800 mhz is the maximum enabled by default anyway.

But if you're going to get a new build soon anyway, don't get more RAM unless it's cheap. You won't be able to re-use it in a modern system, they require DDR3.

That link is for the Rev1, I have the Rev 2.
*my fault, forgot to say what Rev# my MB was, sorry*

Is that RAM info still the same?

Rev2, I have:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2629

I checked this 'Memory Support List' out, but I'm even more confused.
---
#8godplaysSNESPosted 2/1/2014 1:37:37 PM
Looks like the support is the same. Don't care too much about the memory list, that's just what Gigabyte itself has tested. No manufacturer can test all single RAM sticks out there.
---
#9Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 1:44:14 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Looks like the support is the same. Don't care too much about the memory list, that's just what Gigabyte itself has tested. No manufacturer can test all single RAM sticks out there.

Know that helps, thanks for the help so.
---
#10DragnfyrPosted 2/1/2014 1:52:04 PM
Note that DDR2 RAM is not compatible with modern motherboards so you won't be able to reuse the RAM for a future build. Also your current PC is too weak to benefit from extra RAM. If you really want to upgrade then get a 120GB SSD. That will speed up your PC and you'll be able to reuse it in your next build.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs