This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video Game Demo's Should Be Mandatory POLL

#1SuperVegito2487Posted 2/1/2014 10:17:55 AM
Topic Title - Results (206 votes)
Pc (including smartphones and tablets)=Yes
15.05% (31 votes)
Consoles (Including Handhelds)=Yes
4.37% (9 votes)
Both
40.29% (83 votes)
No
40.29% (83 votes)
This poll is now closed.
For me its espicially important for pc's so you can get a benchmark of how the game will LOOK on your system, it would be incredibly annoying to get a game and then find out you cant run it, i had that experience once.
Moms old desktop + lego star wars 2 (yes it was a crappy desktop, couldnt even run half life 2 episode 1. current laptop is far from good but it can run every game ive tried, not always decently but it could always start up the game)

For consoles its just so you know whether or not you like the game, and again if it looks ok on your system (360vsps3vswii u/no hdmi vs hdmi)

The new ouya supports this as i saw in a review.

Pcs and android devices are covered under 1 since both are reliant on system specs due to the large amount of devices with the same OS (i dislike apple for a multitude of reasons hence i cant say anything about it since i dont know, and id rather it stayed like that, but if you know it fits in this category then its ok to say that since its ON topic)

Still not used to creating topics but the last few i DID make on this board got mature responses... hopefully its the same here.
---
Adam Savage: LET'S PILLAGE
Tory Bellici: I don't think that's legal in California
#2urtvPosted 2/1/2014 10:30:48 AM
i like demos but only to test whether i will like the game or not.dont really care whether i can run it
#3ThePCElitistPosted 2/1/2014 10:32:06 AM
I don't need demo's to see if I would like a game or not and I can run anything released so I don't need them for that either.
#4Orestes417Posted 2/1/2014 10:34:47 AM
Not demos, but trial periods during which one can return the product no questions asked on digital downloads. That way you're testing the actual game code instead of whatever old build they toss into the demo
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#5capgamerPosted 2/1/2014 10:37:11 AM
I wish there were some sort of demo, trial period, or whatever for every game. I'm sure I would have bought more games if there were.

I think though that a lot of companies see a demo as a liability. To them, a demo is a chance for someone to say "no" and they want you to commit immediately by buying. Also, costs more development time and bandwidth.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#6NotQuiteAFreakPosted 2/1/2014 10:39:14 AM
Demos aren't mandatory for for PC, at least not for the reasons you say, if you really want to see whether your game is playable you can A) Look up the system specs or B) Take to the seven seas. Also for deciding whether you'll like it or not, I think trailers are sufficient enough for judgement to be placed.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#7SuperVegito2487(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 10:44:50 AM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
Demos aren't mandatory for for PC, at least not for the reasons you say, if you really want to see whether your game is playable you can A) Look up the system specs or B) Take to the seven seas. Also for deciding whether you'll like it or not, I think trailers are sufficient enough for judgement to be placed.

Then you misunderstood me... i ment as in i WANT demos to be mandatory, do you agree?
---
#8TheWhoFanPosted 2/1/2014 10:47:04 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9SuperVegito2487(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 10:52:36 AM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...

As for that video... that makes me pissed off so much that im inclined to pirate in revenge...

if that video got more viewers that might be the outcome...

people have pirated before due to revenge against creators...

and there are people that buys games but end up being pissed at the fact they cant return it since its crappy...

I REALLY hope that video will gain more publicity and make it so that no demo is a bad PR move..
should be that way.

Still doesnt help the benchmark thing for smartphones and pc.
---
#10Bigj089Posted 2/1/2014 10:53:54 AM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...

I didn't look at more than the introduction but isn't that the video that talks about devs making bad games and or demos that turn people off, thus it's the consumers fault they don't make demos anymore?
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator