This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video Game Demo's Should Be Mandatory POLL

#31arleasPosted 2/2/2014 1:51:57 PM
there was an article where a publisher said that they stopped releasing demos because there was a correlation between demos and sales.

I think that article was referenced in the Extra Credits video posted earlier... Or at least the graph from that article.

Yeah, just a second of googling and I found this: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/15706/article/eedar-study-reveals-demos-halve-game-sales/

I can only think of one or two cases where seeing a demo made me run right out and buy the game.... Treasures of the Deep on the PS1 and Xenogears on the PS1.... Every other demo only served to show me it wasn't worth buying.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#32SinisterSlayPosted 2/2/2014 2:19:14 PM
Demos have always sold me on games. Sometimes i bought the game then never played it anyways.

Remember those old gaming magazines and the demo discs. I played the c*** out of some of those and bought them all, when i could find them anyways.
Off the top of my head:
Carmageddon 2
Populous the beginning, first rts ever
Worms Armageddon, first strategy
Monster truck madness 1 and 2. First racing
Dark stone, first arpg
Metal fatigue
Earth 2140, 2150, 2160
Septerra core, first rpg
Gorky 17
Sim city 2k, first city bullet
Space pirates and zombies
Mount and blade, first sand box
Defenders quest, first tower defense i actually liked.
Thief, first stealth game

There's more, i just can't think of them at the moment.
But i pretty much always buy if it's a good demo. Without a demo and a questionable developer means i wait for a deep discount.
For me, lack of a demo effects the value of the game. How much am i willing to risk.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#33YuniuninuniunPosted 2/2/2014 2:27:45 PM
You should only have to pay for games you enjoy.
Good luck finding a way to make this work though.
---
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
#34ZachnornPosted 2/2/2014 2:39:03 PM
Yuniuninuniun posted...

Yeah, I don't see how this would work. How do you determine when to stop giving me access to the game unless I say I enjoy it and thus force me to pay or take my refund privilege away? Or would it be something where I can play something like Skyrim for 200 hours, then say that I didn't enjoy it, and then have it free?

I think a 1-24 hour return policy (depending on the game and size of the download) would be best. It's gotten me to buy some apps on Google Play (some I returned, some I didn't), at least, although I wish Google used a 1 hour window instead of 15 minutes. 1-24 hours is plenty of time to download most games and try them out without being able to complete most of them.
---
<D
Sigs are overrated. Seriously.
#35SuperVegito2487(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2014 4:35:04 AM
Zachnorn posted...
Yuniuninuniun posted...

Yeah, I don't see how this would work. How do you determine when to stop giving me access to the game unless I say I enjoy it and thus force me to pay or take my refund privilege away? Or would it be something where I can play something like Skyrim for 200 hours, then say that I didn't enjoy it, and then have it free?

I think a 1-24 hour return policy (depending on the game and size of the download) would be best. It's gotten me to buy some apps on Google Play (some I returned, some I didn't), at least, although I wish Google used a 1 hour window instead of 15 minutes. 1-24 hours is plenty of time to download most games and try them out without being able to complete most of them.

That would have allowed me to return blacklist...

i loved conviction, but not blacklist... and its just TWO reasons which mods can easily fix..
---
Adam Savage: LET'S PILLAGE
Tory Bellici: I don't think that's legal in California
#36Fade2black001Posted 2/3/2014 6:07:09 AM
Poll is stupid. Nothing should be MANDATORY. It would be nice to see demos again for the PC.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#37pothocketPosted 2/3/2014 6:38:56 AM
No kidding. One time TC accidentally bought a game his mom's crappy couldn't run, thus all games should be forced to have demos? LOL no.
#38Fade2black001Posted 2/3/2014 9:34:10 AM
pothocket posted...
No kidding. One time TC accidentally bought a game his mom's crappy couldn't run, thus all games should be forced to have demos? LOL no.

Is that the reasoning behind all of this?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#39Freelance_WolfPosted 2/3/2014 11:44:56 AM
I wish all PC games had demos, so I can see how well it will run on my rig, as it's getting pretty darn old.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."