This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About mythology in games. Christian, Greek and persian mythology etc?

#1HerrxPosted 2/1/2014 11:33:53 AM
I was just thinking about this when playing the God of War games and also Dante's Inferno and Prince Of Persia.

Isn't there many things that are basically identical. For example in greek Mythology there is Hades or Tartarus. Both are identical to the christian depiction of hell, which are shown in Dante's Inferno and other games. Also many characters are both in Christian mythology and greek mythology. For example King Minos who is in Dante's Inferno and God Of war III and also Charon the ferryman over the river styx. The River styx is also featured in GOW III.

I also find similar things in persian mythology such as the Prince Of Persia games, where in the cell shaded game from 2008, the main antagonist is Ahriman, which is actually in many ways The Devil, just with another name. As you know Lucifer was also featured in Dante's Inferno and a few other games such as Castlevania Lords of Shadow.

Do you agree with this and also, if you can think of other thinks from different mythologies that are similar or identical to christianity, please write these.
---
---
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine - Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca
#2Cesare_BorgiaPosted 2/1/2014 11:37:11 AM
Video games are not a proper source for religious study.
#3SlaynPosted 2/1/2014 11:39:25 AM
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#4SpazH3dPosted 2/1/2014 11:39:38 AM
I think it's strange that the only threads you make are about religion or satan. What do you say to that? Based on this, I would say you are a robot that auto deletes its memory every 2 months.
---
- My vision is augmented
#5capgamerPosted 2/1/2014 11:42:38 AM(edited)
I think what you're noticing is people projecting more familiar mythologies onto less familiar ones. Hades and hell aren't the same thing at all. First of all, Hades the God is not at all like Satan in that he's actually a God, he's not especially more evil than any other God, and he has a good or at least working relationship with Zeus.

A lot of western media portrays Hades as evil. Disney's Hercules, for example? Why? Because that's more in line with what people in the target audience (the USA) are familiar with. God = Good, so Zeus being the leader of the Gods must be good. Satan = bad, so Hades the leader of the underworld must be bad.

In actual Greek mythology, Zeus is a complete monster about 25% of the time and in Hercules in particular it was Hera (Zeus's wife), not Hades, who did everything in her power to ruin him.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#6TowerBooks3192Posted 2/1/2014 11:43:24 AM
Watch ancient aliens. No seriously, watch it. It is one of the best source of finding similarities about mythology.

From the top of my head: The serpent that tempted adam and eve gave them knowledge of good and evil by telling them to eat the apple is the same as the mayan/inca/aztec one who also gave them knowledge or something like that.

Other than that, play Assassins Creed Series and something like Dominions 3/4
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#7AsellusPosted 2/1/2014 11:44:06 AM
Isn't there many things that are basically identical. For example in greek Mythology there is Hades or Tartarus. Both are identical to the christian depiction of hell, which are shown in Dante's Inferno and other games.

Not really, Hades is more like Sheol in Jewish belief, it's not a place of torture (outside of a few specific individuals who'd done something to seriously tick off the gods), it's just a sort of dull place where the vast majority of people who'd never done anything particularly good to merit reward or bad to warrant punishment would wind up.

I also find similar things in persian mythology such as the Prince Of Persia games, where in the cell shaded game from 2008, the main antagonist is Ahriman, which is actually in many ways The Devil, just with another name.

Should this really be surprising? We're talking cultures that grew up on top of other cultures mingling all the while.
#8PraetorXynPosted 2/1/2014 2:25:10 PM
That's because Christanity was copied from what it calls "pagan" religions. It was all fabricated to control masses of idiots, and it's still working even now.

Go look up the story of the Egyptian god Horus in particular.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png