This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it true that registry cleaners are useless?

#1Goldragon7Posted 2/1/2014 1:19:50 PM
I run Ccleaner once in a while and while browsing on-line i saw this article about registry cleaners are apparently useless.

Source I read:
http://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-using-a-registry-cleaner-wont-speed-up-your-pc-or-fix-crashes/

Is this true or not?
Interesting it doesn't mention Ccleaner, a more popular registry cleaner.

Please discuss about here, I'm interested to know what uses on this board think.
---
"I'd rather have nothing to believe in at all, than be chained down by some silly belief." - An Ice Gemron (DC2)
#2Orestes417Posted 2/1/2014 1:22:31 PM
Useless no, but dangerous if used blindly
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#3CommunismFTWPosted 2/1/2014 1:27:48 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Useless no, but dangerous if used blindly

---
There is a glory in humiliation. A throne to be claimed; a crown to wear!
http://i.imgur.com/OhZgm.jpg
#4SlaynPosted 2/1/2014 1:31:40 PM
I think they're pretty useless.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#5lost_withinPosted 2/1/2014 1:32:18 PM
The thing is, is that I do think they make a difference, just not to the scale that people think they should... and the other people are right if you don't know what you are doing you can really screw up your computer...

However I have been using CCleaner for 5-6 years and have never screwed up a computer with it...

But there are some registry cleaners that are very destructive if you are not careful...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#6Orestes417Posted 2/1/2014 1:34:53 PM
I will agree they won't really speed anything up, but that's more a matter of faulty understanding of what the tool is intended to do than it is a statement on the tool being useless. I'll also agree that a whole lot of tools to speed up your PC are nothing more than scamware.
---
Angel's wings won't you carry me home?
#7PhilOnDezPosted 2/1/2014 1:35:23 PM
Once upon a time they were very useful but windows 7/8 do a fine job maintaining their registries on their own, at least from a "not making your computer slow" standpoint. Unless you actually end up with an error though, you really don't need to worry with a cleaner.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8R_BrockPosted 2/1/2014 1:38:18 PM
I feel like your registry would have to be in a real bad state for such programs to have a measurable effect. I've never used registry cleaners and I've never been in a situation where I think, "If only I had used a registry cleaner!"

And I think a good question to ask is how often enterprise level IT support uses registry cleaners? I haven't worked at a company where they're used, at least to my knowledge.

I think it's a pretty benign issue and less capable users like the feeling of doing something. It's a security blanket.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.
#9lost_withinPosted 2/1/2014 1:41:35 PM
R_Brock posted...
I feel like your registry would have to be in a real bad state for such programs to have a measurable effect. I've never used registry cleaners and I've never been in a situation where I think, "If only I had used a registry cleaner!"

And I think a good question to ask is how often enterprise level IT support uses registry cleaners? I haven't worked at a company where they're used, at least to my knowledge.

I think it's a pretty benign issue and less capable users like the feeling of doing something. It's a security blanket.

From working at a school, and not in a computer repair place... at the school we never used these product, we just made images and re-imaged if we had issues... at the computer repair place, we use them for the sake of using them...

Like i said they do offer a slight to no performance increase, but they do help keep the registry nice and organized... if that is possible...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#10urtvPosted 2/1/2014 1:41:46 PM
i just upgrade/reinstall windows if i need to use a registry cleaner