This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any MMOs where debuffing classes matter?

#1Last SoldierPosted 2/2/2014 9:18:53 AM
I'm all of sudden getting a crazy urge to play a debuffing class, that's not DPS, not Healer, and not Tank. The only MMOs I know where they have a spot in dungeons are Rift and FF11, but I have played those game to deaths in the past and no longer wish to pick them up again. Anyone know of any other MMOs with good debuffing classes that I should check out?
---
Finally got rid of my old sig about Pokemon after 10 years, DARN that's how long I've been on GameFAQs T_______________________________________________________T
#2polopiliPosted 2/2/2014 9:40:41 AM
City of Heroes I'd say, but it's kinda old.
#3urtvPosted 2/2/2014 9:43:07 AM
aion spiritmaster
#4ThePCElitistPosted 2/2/2014 9:54:36 AM(edited)
Most modern MMO's are fast paced action games where debuffs aren't needed. I can't think of a single modern MMO that requires any debuff classes to succeed in party content. Even Final Fantasy XIV dropped it entirely. Everything is now DoTs.
#5Edavy89Posted 2/2/2014 10:09:09 AM
polopili posted...
City of Heroes I'd say, but it's kinda old.

CoX was shutdown boss.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#6DoomkillaPosted 2/2/2014 10:16:06 AM
GW2.
---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#7DaedalusExPosted 2/2/2014 10:22:44 AM
Debuffing ships in EVE play a major role in PvP, if you're looking for something more PvP oriented.
#8DerPancakePosted 2/2/2014 10:34:18 AM
Just play Dota 2 and satisfy your debuff needs.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#9MarikhenPosted 2/5/2014 12:26:40 AM
DaedalusEx posted...
Debuffing ships in EVE play a major role in PvP, if you're looking for something more PvP oriented.

Pretty much. Electronic warfare in PvE is about as useless as a zombie in Congress unless you're an NPC. To clarify PvE combat generally consists of one to six dozen NPCs attacking 1-4 PCs. PCs trying to use EW to shut down the NPCs will be about as effective as trying to piss on a hundred acre forest fire while NPCs will clearly have the numbers game.

There's one form of EW that's useful in PvE, however, and that's target painting. Painting a target increases it's apparent size thereby making it easier for all other ships and drones to lock onto, hit, and damage whatever is being painted. Given how other people load out tracking/range modules this isn't necessarily the best use of mid slots on your own ship, however, and if you want to be a PvE debuffer in EVE that's pretty much all you've got.

Just a little over-information to let you know just how well and truly pathetic EVE Online is for PvE "debuffing." :-)
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584#11
#10Sir_Burpalot21Posted 2/5/2014 12:54:07 AM(edited)
Doomkilla posted...
GW2.

Only for PvP and WvW
PvE meta is still pure DPS.

Feature/mechanics update drops in March, but the PvE DPS meta will likely still exist. Just not as strong as it is currently.
Unless Anet tweaks the enemy AI and gets around their condition stack (technical) limitations, DPS will remain the primary factor for PvE.

Condition and/or Control builds are a blast for PvP or WvW though.

Edit: For those unfamiliar, World vs World (WvW) is GW2's cross between PvP and PvE.
In structured PvP everyone is on an equal playing field when it comes to equipment. PvE has no bearing on it.
For WvW you will use whatever equipment you have earned from loot/whatever to fight in a constant 100v100v100 battle over territory with some NPC guards thrown into the mix.
It's a lot of fun if you're in an active server. If not, well.... you're gonna miss out.
---
"Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America, says he is pleased to see so many unsold PS3s sitting on shelves." -IGN