This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any MMOs where debuffing classes matter?

#11LvthnPosted 2/5/2014 12:52:15 AM
In DAoC buff/debuff classes were top tier/god tier. But it's now ancient.

Believe it or not healers, who had no damaging attacks at all save melee autoattack, were most valued not for heals but for mez builds.

More recently, Warhammer Online had Chosen/Knights who had simultaneous buff/debuff auras, extremely valuable. Alas this game started with promise then smashed face first into a brick wall.
#12Erik212Posted 2/5/2014 1:45:54 AM
Marikhen posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
Debuffing ships in EVE play a major role in PvP, if you're looking for something more PvP oriented.

Just a little over-information to let you know just how well and truly pathetic EVE Online is for PvE "debuffing." :-)

Like, this is true and all, but TC cares about PvP it seems. You don't need ECM in PvE because just loading up on the damage, having the right tank, and aggro control lets you do just fine.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#13ChA0TiCoNePosted 2/5/2014 7:21:23 AM
polopili posted...
City of Heroes I'd say, but it's kinda old.

Yeah controllers were the most powerful class in that game. Debuffs, crowd control, pets, buffs and heals, and to some extent DPS as well if they were fire/kinetics. By MMORPG standards, it was quite a powerful class indeed.
#14VolebamusPosted 2/5/2014 8:43:36 AM(edited)
DC Universe Online had Buffing/Debuffing as one of the 4 main class types, along with the 3 others mentioned in TC's first post.

In that game, they're called "(Con)Trollers".

If I remember right, this class was usually the most in demand for teams, raids, etc. Of course, it's mostly because most people want to be DPS (as all players can choose to be DPS whenever), while just one the three other classes are the alternative choice. Tanks aren't really that necessary most of the time, so you end up having a shortage of Healers and Controllers as a result.
---
(( It is of my own Volition to act as I have. ))
#15MarikhenPosted 2/5/2014 11:56:00 AM
Erik212 posted...
Like, this is true and all, but TC cares about PvP it seems.

How did you get that out of the OP when it mentioned Final Fantasy XI and Rift in conjunction with dungeons?

Erik212 posted...
You don't need ECM in PvE because just loading up on the damage, having the right tank, and aggro control lets you do just fine.

Not only that ECM screws up enemy locks making it easier and more likely for them to either target the ship(s) you don't want them shooting at or your drones. As I said, painters are pretty much the only choice for PvE EW, and that's really only because they take the place of (omnidirectional) tracking computers/enhancers for both yourself and everyone else and signal enhancers and sensor boosters for everyone else.
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584#11
#16klaxenderPosted 2/5/2014 1:40:58 PM
Everquest and Everquest 2 had debuffing play a major role. Slows, mez, charm, stat debuffs etc were all essential.

They're both f2p now but quite old. Maybe keep an eye on EQN and see if they stick to that trend.
---
PSN/Steam ID: klaxender
#17Last Soldier(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2014 2:48:25 PM
Thank you guys, I'll check out DCUO and EQ2. I do PVP sometimes but I don't think the hardcore PVP style of EVE is my thing, I've heard so many horror stories of that game I think I'll pass.
---
Finally got rid of my old sig about Pokemon after 10 years, DARN that's how long I've been on GameFAQs T_______________________________________________________T
#18BuyersRemorse55Posted 2/6/2014 4:39:28 PM
Everquest 2 had a lot of debuffing. But of course for it to matter nowadays youll have to get max level and prolly raid and do high end dungeons. At lower levels stuff dies so fast debuffing hardly matters.