This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8.1 Pro Student only for Windows 7 users?

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 8.1 Pro Student only for Windows 7 users?
1 year ago#1
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

It says
Important: Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only.

What does that mean exactly? All you get is a cd key after all, which should naturally work any Pro installer.

inb4getwindows7. Seriously, don't.
1 year ago#2
For whatever reason MS only wants people to install 8 over an old version of windows and it won't install on its own unless you already have an OS installed. I'm 99% sure you can just do an install with any 7 iso you have laying around and just not register it, then perform the windows 8 upgrade install and register it normally with your student key.

There is a workaround to do a truly clean install of 8 but I've never cared enough/had a reason to use it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
1 year ago#3
Nowhere does it say upgrade version and it even says Full version, but they certainly imply that it's an upgrade.
1 year ago#4
No, according to their customer support which I asked this question a few weeks back. They said as long as you can download the ISO file to install the OS on any system with a USB, you don't need an OS already installed to upgrade to. You just need access to the internet and to download the files needed.

I never ended up purchasing though, so I can't say the process.

The person I spoke with seemed to follow-up with just saying that part of the description is only in regards to IF you're upgrading from a previous OS to 8.1 Pro, you would have to have Win 7 and can't do so directly from Vista/XP/etc...you have to upgrade to 8 Pro first THEN upgrade to 8.1. That's all that part of the description is about, NOT if you're installing just Windows 8.1 Pro from no previous OS.

---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
(edited by Conker)
1 year ago#5
Yea like the above said. If you just click the link in the description for Windows 8 Pro student edition it is the same price. After you install Windows 8 Pro you can update it to 8.1 for free. So basically its just more steps to get to the same place but the same price.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
1 year ago#6
Huh, well thanks for the information. Talk about a misleading description.
1 year ago#7
With the information you have now reread it, its pretty straight forward.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Windows 8.1 Pro Student only for Windows 7 users?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived