This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8.1 Pro Student only for Windows 7 users?

#1temgunPosted 2/2/2014 1:35:07 PM
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

It says
Important: Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only.

What does that mean exactly? All you get is a cd key after all, which should naturally work any Pro installer.

inb4getwindows7. Seriously, don't.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 2/2/2014 2:06:37 PM
For whatever reason MS only wants people to install 8 over an old version of windows and it won't install on its own unless you already have an OS installed. I'm 99% sure you can just do an install with any 7 iso you have laying around and just not register it, then perform the windows 8 upgrade install and register it normally with your student key.

There is a workaround to do a truly clean install of 8 but I've never cared enough/had a reason to use it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3temgun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 2:27:52 PM
Nowhere does it say upgrade version and it even says Full version, but they certainly imply that it's an upgrade.
#4ConkerPosted 2/2/2014 2:44:40 PM(edited)
No, according to their customer support which I asked this question a few weeks back. They said as long as you can download the ISO file to install the OS on any system with a USB, you don't need an OS already installed to upgrade to. You just need access to the internet and to download the files needed.

I never ended up purchasing though, so I can't say the process.

The person I spoke with seemed to follow-up with just saying that part of the description is only in regards to IF you're upgrading from a previous OS to 8.1 Pro, you would have to have Win 7 and can't do so directly from Vista/XP/etc...you have to upgrade to 8 Pro first THEN upgrade to 8.1. That's all that part of the description is about, NOT if you're installing just Windows 8.1 Pro from no previous OS.

---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#5Fear The ClownPosted 2/2/2014 2:48:36 PM
Yea like the above said. If you just click the link in the description for Windows 8 Pro student edition it is the same price. After you install Windows 8 Pro you can update it to 8.1 for free. So basically its just more steps to get to the same place but the same price.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#6temgun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 3:38:59 PM
Huh, well thanks for the information. Talk about a misleading description.
#7Fear The ClownPosted 2/2/2014 3:51:15 PM
With the information you have now reread it, its pretty straight forward.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3