This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Capture and Storage System Spec Recommendations...

#1JirynPosted 2/2/2014 4:01:58 PM(edited)
(I asked this on the Video Editing board and never got a reply http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/285-video-editing/68478089 )

Currently I am using a 2010-2011 HP Laptop to capture video but it has a tiny harddrive.

I was thinking of just getting a 3TB external harddrive and have the video data store directly onto the HD.

Is that a good idea?
Should I upgrade my Laptop? I was thinking of getting a Lanovo Y510p for the capture but I am not sure if it is worth it since I am not doing any of the editing on the device just the capture.

Or should I just put one of my spare Desktops (from 2007/2008) down there instead (AMD Quad Core, I don't remember the rest of the specs)

The editing will be done on my personal dekstop, a I7-3770 with 32gigs of ram system.

I am also looking for a good composite/component capture device since my Elgato doesn't like 480i native devices (Hooked a PS2 up to it, and it wouldn't send the signal to the TV.. it would to the PC but it was delayed)
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#2LordSeiferPosted 2/2/2014 4:08:41 PM
use spare desktop IMO

and then internal or external harddrive doesnt really matter.
---
^ this
#3Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 4:15:59 PM
LordSeifer posted...
use spare desktop IMO

and then internal or external harddrive doesnt really matter.

Why doesn't it matter?
The spare Desktop is quite old.. and probably needs some major updates.
I am curious if it is better then my laptop..

However, the HD is only 320gb
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#4LordSeiferPosted 2/2/2014 4:18:26 PM
you obviously never mentioned the specs or what you are capturing so I cant give any specific recommendations about whether it is fast enough to handle it

in general i dont like running laptops all the time for stuff like that
---
^ this