This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about mobo and CPU compatibility

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about mobo and CPU compatibility

User Info: DarkKnight0458

DarkKnight0458
2 years ago#1
Okay, so I have a motherboard that's a couple of years old at this point, maybe 3 or 4 years old. It's a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P that's rated as AM3/AM2+. Right now I've got a AMD triple core that I've unlocked into what DXDiag calls a Phenom II X4 B40, but it's only 3.0 GHz. What's the best series of CPU that I could choose from to upgrade?

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU soon and am not sure about my real options considering the age of my motherboard. I have a 650w PSU and 8 GB of what I think is slower-than-average-but-servicable RAM, so I was looking to save the money on RAM and just upgrade the two components.
Don't sweat the small things.

User Info: thebladeofwoe

thebladeofwoe
2 years ago#2
I believe, anything in the FX series would be ok as they support AM3+ (I believe so anyway)

and what GPU do you have ATM?
A10 ('@2.3) HD 7600G & HD 7670M 8gb ram W8.
Fc 3969-4396-9870

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
2 years ago#3
You would be limited to AM3 cpu's.

Which are kind of on their way out, Newegg carries a single chip for example and it's a single core.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven

User Info: DarkKnight0458

DarkKnight0458
2 years ago#4
Well I have an old 4770 from '08. It plays all current gen games perfectly well, albeit not always at 60 FPS with maxed out settings. I use a dual monitor setup and while my monitor is 1920*1080 native, I game on my TV which runs 1360*768 (native anyway, it is capable of 1080p but I feel it looks more blurry than running at native) so I don't really need the beefiest card. That being said, I do like to play on my monitor sometimes so I wouldn't mind upgrading to something modern to enjoy the resolution.
Anyway, I was probably going to get a 7870 or a 760 depending on further research. Any ideas in that regard?

The only other problem is that the FX series is AM3+, right? Isn't there a difference between AM3 and AM3+ that would make it incompatible?
Don't sweat the small things.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
2 years ago#5
DarkKnight0458 posted...
Well I have an old 4770 from '08. It plays all current gen games perfectly well, albeit not always at 60 FPS with maxed out settings. I use a dual monitor setup and while my monitor is 1920*1080 native, I game on my TV which runs 1360*768 (native anyway, it is capable of 1080p but I feel it looks more blurry than running at native) so I don't really need the beefiest card. That being said, I do like to play on my monitor sometimes so I wouldn't mind upgrading to something modern to enjoy the resolution.
Anyway, I was probably going to get a 7870 or a 760 depending on further research. Any ideas in that regard?

The only other problem is that the FX series is AM3+, right? Isn't there a difference between AM3 and AM3+ that would make it incompatible?

Correct. AM3+ CPU's will not work in an AM3 socket.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about mobo and CPU compatibility

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived