This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Valve introduces Steam Music, accepting beta signups

#1runromPosted 2/3/2014 3:42:31 PM

Listen to your music collection while you play games
Steam Music will soon be in limited beta as a feature of SteamOS and Big Picture mode, with a desktop interface to follow.

The Steam Music Beta is coming soon to Big Picture and SteamOS interfaces, with desktop features soon to follow. To express interest in beta participation, join the Steam Music community group. Group members will be invited in waves, until the feature is released to everyone.

With Steam Music, you can now listen to your music collection while playing games. Once you’ve pointed Steam to your local music directory, your Steam Library will include Album and Artist views of your collection.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic
http://www.playerattack.com/news/2014/02/04/steam-music-now-accepting-beta-signups/
---
MBP 2009 | i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz | AMD 7870 | PS Vita | Nintendo 3DS | HP Touchpad
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#2wizardmonPosted 2/3/2014 3:45:47 PM
So a Steam media player.

Pretty sure people have had hacked steam media players running in half life back in the day of oldsteam on the old GUI.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3KaiRyusakiPosted 2/3/2014 3:49:01 PM
no googleplay no buy
#4calcyclePosted 2/3/2014 3:50:20 PM
I use online radio and spotify often, so I don't know if this can supplement my music usage.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#5SinisterSlayPosted 2/3/2014 3:51:28 PM
bets its windows media player in the background?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6electroflamePosted 2/3/2014 3:53:19 PM
I was in the group the second it was available.

Dunno if I'll use it, but I want to have the option -- especially in games with crappy music, or games where custom music is better (racing, for example).
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#7KillerTrufflePosted 2/3/2014 3:55:13 PM
So what exactly is the benefit here? Having music controls accessible from the Steam overlay? That's really the only advantage I can think of for something like this... and if you have a keyboard with media control buttons, that's pretty much irrelevant.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#8fataliPosted 2/3/2014 3:55:44 PM
SinisterSlay posted...

Right... because WMP runs in linux...
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 2/3/2014 4:01:15 PM
fatali posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Right... because WMP runs in linux...

It'll be different in Linux.

Might not work in Linux at all because of the whole free movement.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10Ch3wyPosted 2/3/2014 4:01:39 PM
This is pretty cool. I hope they add FLAC support early on instead of just ignoring it like Apple.

Also hooray for them for featuring a Boards of Canada album in the images.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001