This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any other advantages to extra VRAM besides better performance for higher res?

#11SlaynPosted 2/4/2014 3:44:09 AM
People overestimate how much video ram actually does. You never look at the vram, just look at the card. Don't say "well I need card X because it has more vram". Almost every benchmark I have ever seen comparing two of the same video cards with different size memory, the added memory provides almost no performance difference.

It's like people hear it and just keep spewing it out without actually having a clue.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#12ConkerPosted 2/4/2014 7:01:07 AM
If you have a 680, I'd just wait for the 800 series or next high-end launch. If you're just preparing for when you get a 2560x1440 monitor there really doesn't seem to be a rush unless you're getting it in the next few weeks. Even 2+ months away could get you a much better graphics card for the same or lower price, or you may at least know what's coming to make a decision to buy then or wait.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#13triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 7:08:58 AM
I thought the 800 series wasn't debuting until later this year? The only reason I'm concerned about the VRAM is because I like playing Skyrim heavily modded and I think at times I'm pushing my 2GB limit.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#14ConkerPosted 2/4/2014 7:35:57 AM
Even if the high-end 800 series cards don't launch until later this year I still think a 680 is enough to hold over til then or even like I said before, wait if you're not gaming at that higher res until you do have a new monitor and you'll likely save a bit on current cards.

It just doesn't seem like you have any reason to rush except maybe you're at that "I want something new" point, which usually goes away for me after a week or two. Then soon after that I find a great deal I can't pass up and feel a lot better about the purchase.
---
#15ThePCElitistPosted 2/4/2014 7:45:03 AM
Conker posted...
Even if the high-end 800 series cards don't launch until later this year I still think a 680 is enough to hold over til then or even like I said before, wait if you're not gaming at that higher res until you do have a new monitor and you'll likely save a bit on current cards.

It just doesn't seem like you have any reason to rush except maybe you're at that "I want something new" point, which usually goes away for me after a week or two. Then soon after that I find a great deal I can't pass up and feel a lot better about the purchase.

I was starting to notice the GTX 680 struggling with certain games. Mostly games like Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, etc. The typical benchmark games. I would have kept my 680's longer but I don't like unstable frames on Ultra settings.
#16triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 8:14:54 AM
^^^Are you using a 2560x1440 monitor?
---
#17triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 8:16:58 AM
And by the end of the month I'm probably getting the new monitor, so that's why it's hard for me to wait until later this year.
---
#18ConkerPosted 2/4/2014 8:29:41 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
Conker posted...

I was starting to notice the GTX 680 struggling with certain games. Mostly games like Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, etc. The typical benchmark games. I would have kept my 680's longer but I don't like unstable frames on Ultra settings.

I am also curious to know what resolution you're playing at. Even with one or two settings not quite maxed you should have stable framerates with every one of those games, and if you're running at 2560x1440, turning the AA down a bit is almost unnoticeable. I understand it's a psychological thing, but even waiting a little longer can save...like watch for sales during the time TC is waiting on their monitor, etc.

Obviously if TC has enough money to spend to get the monitor and card they want now, go for it. I would get at least a 780 ti though to make it really worth the upgrade, though.
---
#19triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 8:52:36 AM
Conker posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
Conker posted...

I am also curious to know what resolution you're playing at. Even with one or two settings not quite maxed you should have stable framerates with every one of those games, and if you're running at 2560x1440, turning the AA down a bit is almost unnoticeable. I understand it's a psychological thing, but even waiting a little longer can save...like watch for sales during the time TC is waiting on their monitor, etc.

Obviously if TC has enough money to spend to get the monitor and card they want now, go for it. I would get at least a 780 ti though to make it really worth the upgrade, though.

It's more likely looking that way with the TI. I pretty much run all those games almost maxed in 1080p with the only adjustment being AA settings.
---