This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anti-virus question

#1MrtyuPosted 2/4/2014 5:18:02 AM
I was looking at windows task manager earlier while talking to my friend, I mentioned that my CPU was at 47% load (the system is new). He has pretty much same build as me minus the GPU and PSU so I asked him what his was at and it was sitting at just 6%, the brunt of the load was coming from Steam (20%) and a windows process called "Service Host: Local Service (Ne" (20%).

I did some scans and found no malware, I ended up uninstalling AVG which dropped steam to 0.4% and the windows process to nothing although my CPU still won't sit still. Does Windows Defender suffice or is there an anti-virus which won't cause pointless issues?
#2MaxCHEATER64Posted 2/4/2014 5:21:14 AM
AVG is crap.
Just get MWB.

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#3Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 6:00:39 AM
is MWB = Sophos?
#4MaxCHEATER64Posted 2/4/2014 6:09:48 AM
Mrtyu posted...
is MWB = Sophos?

https://www.malwarebytes.org
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#5Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 6:51:12 AM
It seems to be decent but doesn't protect me constantly, on the free version at least. Is it fine to just use the free version?
#6PokenubPosted 2/4/2014 7:06:09 AM
Malwarebytes, MSE and common sense is the best protection. If you can't help but download infected files, pay for a full version of an Anti Virus.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#7Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 7:08:34 AM
Pokenub posted...
Malwarebytes, MSE and common sense is the best protection. If you can't help but download infected files, pay for a full version of an Anti Virus.

I know, just being overly paranoid because its my first PC. Currently running at a 1% CPU load so I'm quite happy with that.
#8ShubPosted 2/4/2014 7:19:24 AM(edited)
Using just Malwarebytes is a terrible idea. It's an on-demand scanner, and it's not made for all types of malware. You should have something that's constantly active in the background. MSE is OK but Microsoft has been saying you should use something else. I think the leaders (AVG, Avast, etc.) in the free segment of the antivirus market are fine, but you're free to go and pay for one of the commercial ones. Norton, Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the leaders currently.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9EGMRULZPosted 2/4/2014 11:16:12 AM
^ Ermmm. Stay as far as possible from Norton as you can. You can't believe the amount of DRM checkups and automatic downloading of crap I got after I installed Norton Internet Security. Every single day I would boot up after the 12 month period ended, I'd get a total of 5, count them 5 different popup windows reminding me to upgrade and check my "internet connection for updates". Pffft. What a turd of a product. Definitely install something else TC.
---
PC & Consoles > Everything
#10ShubPosted 2/4/2014 11:18:43 AM
It sounds like you used Norton a long time ago. It's changed a lot since.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.