This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU Overclocking Question(s)

#1Morph33nPosted 2/4/2014 10:21:36 PM
I have a AMD Phenom II X4 965 at stock with a Hyper 212+ sitting on it. I had overclocked a long time ago but basically forgot what exactly I did. I remember doing some tweaking with a multiplier in the BIOS. With that out of the way, my main concern was stress testing. Is this something I need to be present for? I work 12 hour shifts, so could I just set one to go and see if it's still going strong when I'm done working or is there potential for damage this way?
---
Steam ID: _morpheen
#2WerdnAndreWPosted 2/4/2014 10:40:37 PM
I first check my overclock with Intel burn test for about 30mins. If that runs fine I'll let prime95 run overnight.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#3DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/4/2014 11:03:48 PM
You can just leave it going while you do something else, but you could potentially gimp all the software on your machine, and if your fan fails to keep your machine cool, you could pop your CPU as well.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#4Kokuei05Posted 2/4/2014 11:10:44 PM
I prefer to be present when stress testing. Mainly because if it's unstable; I rather up the voltage right away or drop the overclock right away. Not leave it unstable for hours.

While you stress test the PC isn't unusable. You can do it while you watch a movie or something.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRqKYXcL-2U
#532x2zPosted 2/4/2014 11:13:06 PM
Prime95 isn't really a realistic way of testing an overclock. I think personally that the best way of testing an overclock is to test it under load, in intensive games or benchmarks. Test it in situations where it's CPU intensive, making it work hard. While Prime95 does do this, it's not healthy for your components.
#6ClouddxPosted 2/4/2014 11:13:48 PM
32x2z posted...
Prime95 isn't really a realistic way of testing an overclock. I think personally that the best way of testing an overclock is to test it under load, in intensive games or benchmarks. Test it in situations where it's CPU intensive, making it work hard. While Prime95 does do this, it's not healthy for your components.

What? lol
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#7Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 11:20:00 PM
Thanks guys. Glad I checked before OCing tonight and leaving a test running during work.
---
Steam ID: _morpheen
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/4/2014 11:20:42 PM
32x2z posted...

Wrong.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#932x2zPosted 2/4/2014 11:25:46 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
32x2z posted...

Wrong.

TC states he is unsure how to overclock, and everyone is suggesting him to run prime95? Any heavy load benchmark or program can potentially damage hardware that is unstable to begin with. So you guys tell tc to torture test it to make sure it works.
#10me_faiyezPosted 2/4/2014 11:26:16 PM
Prime95 and IBT are going to test your CPU for errors in absolute worst case conditions. Your CPU can definitely be in full load for extended periods of time no problem, you just have to watch the temps.

Once you have found an overclock/voltage combination that allows your setup to run the stress sets for 30 mins without error, just leave it running overnight to confirm a stable overclock.
---
I think they've taken the freedom and liberty thing a BIT TOO FAR!
-GlowStormLion on Japan's kinks.