This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU Overclocking Question(s)

#11Xeeh_BitzPosted 2/4/2014 10:36:05 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
32x2z posted...
Prime95 isn't really a realistic way of testing an overclock. I think personally that the best way of testing an overclock is to test it under load, in intensive games or benchmarks. Test it in situations where it's CPU intensive, making it work hard. While Prime95 does do this, it's not healthy for your components.

Wrong.

Well, in a way it is.. heat does decrease the lifespan of the processor, it also causes it to deteriorate requiring more volts to sustain the same clock speed, thus more heat but really it's a small difference and not much more comparable to running the processor at stock unless you're OCing extreme, but I doubt you're going to run Prime95 to test if you're extreme OCing

Also, use IBT for max heat, Prime95 is alright for long term overnight testing but doesn't get it hot enough imo
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#12Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 11:31:07 PM(edited)
I can already tell I'm not going to be able to get very high due to temp restrictions. So to add on to info I need, what would be a good cooler to throw on this? My 212+ could probably use replacing. I have a HAF 922 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197 ) case so it would need to fit in that mofo.

EDIT: Water is fine as long as I have the space. I've never done water cooling so I'm not sure how bulky they are.
---
Steam ID: _morpheen
#13MarikhenPosted 2/4/2014 11:59:18 PM
On the one hand using software like Prime95 and its torture test to ensure that your overclock is as stable as possible has merit, but on the other hand unless you're running your CPU at 100% utilization on a regular basis testing it for stability at that load is somewhat pointless. In my case I've seen fewer than half a dozen games run my CPU at over 50% utilization, and most don't even crack 35% for long. If I geek to higher voltage to get a faster OC going I can run into a situation where Prime95 or something else running it full out will cause instability due overheating and not because of any factor that would directly impact system stability while using 50% utilization or lighter applications/games.

Again, not saying that torture testing for absolute worst case scenario stability is a bad thing, but it's not necessary if you're not running your CPU balls to the wall on a regular basis. That said doesn't Prime95 allow for usage of less than 100% of your CPU's output for testing purposes? ;-)
---
"Before I send them to hell, I shall let them see heaven." - Claptonvaughn, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/68145584#11
#14Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2014 10:07:57 AM(edited)
Bump just in case anyone has a cooler suggesting that'll fit on or in a Haf 922. My load temps at stock with IBT were 49 - 52 C.

Edit: I'd rather not mod my case but if its as simple as drilling a few holes in the back I won't be too opposed.
---
#15urtvPosted 2/5/2014 10:17:35 AM
965be all you gotta do is raise multiplier and voltage if needed
#16Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2014 10:20:54 AM
Yeah I got that part down now. I'm more worried about temps now to squeeze out some performance til I decide to pick up a new CPU. Bonus points for a cooler that works for AM3 and whatever Haswell is (1150?).
---
#17Killah PriestPosted 2/5/2014 10:27:00 AM
any halfway decent cooler should have multiple mounting brackets for amd/intel
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#18Morph33n(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2014 10:34:59 AM
I was looking at the H100i but it looks like it may be too bulky for my case.
---
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/5/2014 10:35:50 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
32x2z posted...
Prime95 isn't really a realistic way of testing an overclock. I think personally that the best way of testing an overclock is to test it under load, in intensive games or benchmarks. Test it in situations where it's CPU intensive, making it work hard. While Prime95 does do this, it's not healthy for your components.

Wrong.

Well, in a way it is.. heat does decrease the lifespan of the processor, it also causes it to deteriorate requiring more volts to sustain the same clock speed, thus more heat but really it's a small difference and not much more comparable to running the processor at stock unless you're OCing extreme, but I doubt you're going to run Prime95 to test if you're extreme OCing

Also, use IBT for max heat, Prime95 is alright for long term overnight testing but doesn't get it hot enough imo

By that logic, using your computer is bad for it.
Prime95 does not do anything that normal software cannot do.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#20Killah PriestPosted 2/5/2014 10:36:50 AM
Prime95 does not do anything that normal software cannot do.

true, but to be fair it does push it to its limits which most software will never ever ever do.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.