This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Laptop to desktop?

#1Marshall_LawPosted 2/5/2014 3:31:48 PM
In theory would it be possible to strip a laptop down and put it in a case?
---
Six up never switch up Love, Life, loyalty, knowledge,wisdom,understanding. PSN kenjamin69
#2Xemnas999Posted 2/5/2014 3:35:16 PM
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure components in a laptop are designed for that MOBO specifically and will not work in anything else. If you really wanted, you could buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse and just use a HDMI cable to create a pseudo desktop.
---
Laptop - i7 2670QM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | GT 540M 2GB
Desktop - i5 4670K | 8GB DDR3 RAM | R9 280X 3GB
#3JsReznorPosted 2/5/2014 3:45:11 PM
Then you put it in a case = problem solved.
#4PhilOnDezPosted 2/5/2014 4:02:39 PM
You definitely could. Just not an off the shelf case, you'd have to build it from scratch or heavily modify a commercial case. At the end of the day it probably wouldn't be worth it over just removing the screen from the laptop and using it like that.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5Marshall_Law(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2014 4:18:13 PM
It was more being able to get better gpus and cooling. The 2 6990m in there get hot
---
Six up never switch up Love, Life, loyalty, knowledge,wisdom,understanding. PSN kenjamin69
#6LvthnPosted 2/5/2014 4:21:26 PM
Marshall_Law posted...
It was more being able to get better gpus and cooling. The 2 6990m in there get hot

...just build a PC.
#7Marshall_Law(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2014 4:22:50 PM
Broke
---
#8LordSeiferPosted 2/5/2014 4:27:22 PM
can you put a laptop in a case, sure

can you use desktop graphics cards. no.
---
^ this
#9LvthnPosted 2/5/2014 6:23:25 PM
Marshall_Law posted...
Broke

Putting laptop hardware in a desktop case isn't going to be a budget solution. You're still going to be limited to laptop hardware, which costs as much or more than desktop hardware, and you're going to have to do major case customization. Building a desktop from scratch is seriously a cheaper way to go.

Some laptops are fairly easy to upgrade certain components. Memory, HDD, maybe even CPU, can usually be upgraded within the limits of the motherboard. GPU is much harder and risks heating problems, nevermind compatability.

I'd suggest making do with what you have and saving up to build a desktop to your preference and budget. Once you get the ball rolling, upgrades to that are drastically cheaper and easier.
#10WyzeGyePosted 2/5/2014 6:37:42 PM
You could get creative with zipties and aftermarket coolers in a big case.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png