This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to fix a Hard drive that been scrambled from interupted defragmentation?

#1bookwormzzzzPosted 2/6/2014 1:10:47 PM
I was defragmenting my external hard drive like I do every Wednesday when we had a power outage. When it returned my hard drive still says the correct amount of space, but a lot of my shows and games are gone with the files saying 0bytes. Then it gave me a prompt about fixing bad sectors so I did that, but a day later it is maybe only 12-13% of the way through. So just wondering if there is a better or faster way or should I just keep doing the Windows solution thing. I hope I explained this well enough for someone to understand >.<
---
I AM THE EX-CE KING!
#2Worknofun370Posted 2/6/2014 1:12:59 PM
Naw, I would let the chkdisk finish up, and then cross your fingers it repairs whatever damage was done.

A crash during a defrag can be pretty bad news, it sounds like it may be bad news for you too. But hey, atleast your computer boots so you're better off than many. :)
#3Rolen47Posted 2/6/2014 5:15:36 PM
If it takes more than a few hours to scan for bad sectors then that could mean that your harddrive is failing.
#4bookwormzzzz(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2014 5:28:17 PM
It took about 12-13 hours. So this is a sign that my hard drive might be starting to fail? And I came back to this topic to report the good news. After it checked the disk and fixed the bad sectors everything is there so it worked out. Also the hard drive is 1.5TB and is 1.2TB full so I thought maybe that was the reason it was taking so long.
---
I AM THE EX-CE KING!
#5Worknofun370Posted 2/6/2014 9:32:06 PM
bookwormzzzz posted...
It took about 12-13 hours. So this is a sign that my hard drive might be starting to fail? And I came back to this topic to report the good news. After it checked the disk and fixed the bad sectors everything is there so it worked out. Also the hard drive is 1.5TB and is 1.2TB full so I thought maybe that was the reason it was taking so long.

Awwwww Yeahhhhh
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/6/2014 10:50:03 PM
bookwormzzzz posted...

It's just because it's so big. Takes a long time to check a disk that size.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#7Lonestar2000Posted 2/7/2014 4:15:24 AM(edited)
Why the hell are you defragging every week? You should only be doing that once a month, and only to system/installed program files.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335