This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was that mic that you guys usually recommend?

#11DV8ingSourcesPosted 2/6/2014 4:21:48 PM
randy_123r posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
Waiting on the new revision of the mod mic myself. Noise cancellation and a proper inline mute button will be nice.

dammit when is that coming out

From their 'blog' of sorts

We have finally chosen a manufacturer and general design for the 4.0. I never thought it would take this long but the wait will be worth it. Our manufacturing partner makes some great products in similar fields and has been great to work with.
If things go smoothly (we both know they rarely do) we'll have the tooling done by the end of January and will have mics being made in February, shipping likely in late February/March. Mics will have:

mute button (maybe a version without it as well)
carrying case
noise-canceling capsule (analog/passive NC)
3.5 jack
Original 1.0 style of sturdy bendy boom
Clasp compatibility to old base clasps (top clasp will be a bit different to fit bigger boom)
Durable design

March? They've been later than their estimates before though so who really knows. If you need one right away, it probably isn't worth the wait.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#12randy_123r(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2014 4:39:22 PM
cody4783 posted...
HaMMeRHeaD25 posted...
No idea, but the zalman clip-on mic tends to go with headphones

If you actually want to keep friends, for the love of all that is holy do NOT buy the Zalman mic.

That thing is an atrocity. Picks up more background noise than direct voice communication. And chances are it will cause your friends' ears to bleed spontaneously.

Friends don't let their friends' ears bleed.

Thank you for looking out, I definitely don't want to do that to my friends.
---
GT: Saint Muzik
http://i.minus.com/iV3clHy0Bmf08.gif http://www.last.fm/user/SaintMusik/
#13HaMMeRHeaD25Posted 2/6/2014 4:46:16 PM
cody4783 posted...
HaMMeRHeaD25 posted...

If you actually want to keep friends, for the love of all that is holy do NOT buy the Zalman mic.

That thing is an atrocity. Picks up more background noise than direct voice communication. And chances are it will cause your friends' ears to bleed spontaneously.

I've had success with it for three years. I must be a magician, or perhaps you just had a bad personal experience and you're trying to use your anecdotal evidence as proof of a faulty product. I'll let the reviews speak for themselves, it certainly does the job for a number of people, myself included.
---
Ya ave a license fa dem dubs?
#14DV8ingSourcesPosted 2/6/2014 4:50:04 PM
HaMMeRHeaD25 posted...
cody4783 posted...
HaMMeRHeaD25 posted...

I've had success with it for three years. I must be a magician, or perhaps you just had a bad personal experience and you're trying to use your anecdotal evidence as proof of a faulty product. I'll let the reviews speak for themselves, it certainly does the job for a number of people, myself included.

Do you monitor your own mic? I've had a couple buds with it as well and it seriously picks up everything unless you have a decent sound card with mic options to add in some noise cancellation. It's not that it doesn't work, its that it works too well as a mic. I don't want to hear your mom in the background yelling at your little brother to put the dishes away.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#15randy_123r(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2014 4:56:11 PM
Is the Blue Magic a good mic while we're on the subject? My bro has one.
---
#16MisterSpliffPosted 2/6/2014 4:58:14 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
HaMMeRHeaD25 posted...
cody4783 posted...
HaMMeRHeaD25 posted...

Do you monitor your own mic? I've had a couple buds with it as well and it seriously picks up everything unless you have a decent sound card with mic options to add in some noise cancellation. It's not that it doesn't work, its that it works too well as a mic. I don't want to hear your mom in the background yelling at your little brother to put the dishes away.

Sounds like it's just not being set up properly. Although, as an omnidirectional mic it's only good for Press 2 Talk.

The only problem i've had with mine is being told it was too quiet. Always because I clipped it too low on the cable, or my long hair was covering the mic.
#17St34lth24Posted 2/6/2014 5:27:30 PM
I use the Blue Snowball. It's a USB Mic and sounds pretty good. I had the zalman mic but it muffled my voice too much. Sounded like I was talking from within a box.
---
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
#18cody4783Posted 2/6/2014 5:43:37 PM(edited)
HaMMeRHeaD25 posted...

In my case, I play with speakers because I can't stand wearing headphones for extended periods of time; Whenever I used the mic, everyone I was talking to reported hearing my game audio from speakers placed around the room WELL over my own voice, with the microphone clipped on the top of my shirt.

The mic was very sensitive at picking up all my game audio, people chatting in the other room, doors closing, etc etc, and all that extra noise feedback canceled out it's effectiveness for VOIP.

I spent quite awhile tinkering with audio settings (Both when I tried it with onboard Realtek audio, and an Asus Xonar soundcard), and if I did managed to block out some noise, it also dulled my own voice and ruined any clarity.

Now admittedly I don't spend much time recording myself talking; But when you go from getting regular complaints/comments about how bad it is, to getting comments from people who are surprised they CAN'T hear your game audio unless their sounds are completely off...It leads one to think the mic isn't appropriate for your setup.

And "Letting reviews speak for themselves" isn't good reasoning. It's a dirt cheap mic that people often likely buy because they don't care or don't know any better and it pics up audio, therefor it's "Good". Some people just don't need nor expect more from it---But it's NOT something I can recommend people go out and use for chatting with friends or doing voice recording if they want decent quality and don't want TONS of background noise.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#19randy_123r(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2014 5:59:45 PM
St34lth24 posted...
I use the Blue Snowball. It's a USB Mic and sounds pretty good. I had the zalman mic but it muffled my voice too much. Sounded like I was talking from within a box.

Yeah that was the one. I should just borrow this for now on. He doesn't use it for music much anyways.
---
#20HaMMeRHeaD25Posted 2/7/2014 9:22:00 AM
It took some tinkering to find the ideal placement, but I don't keep the mic on my person or on my desk. I keep the unit above my monitor, behind the speakers. Itw ill pick up the noise of my mechanical keyboard and mouse, but I am always heard when I push-to-talk so it hasn't been an issue. I've gotten complaints when it wasn't push to talk, but otherwise I've monitored the quality myself through Audacity etc. on some good monitors and the playback sounds fine
---
Ya ave a license fa dem dubs?