This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: this is how WoW was designed

#1Dirk85UKPosted 2/7/2014 11:57:56 AM
"Everyone play EverQuest for the next year and copy everything it does!"
---
GTX 780ti SC / i7 4770k / 16gb RAM / Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H / 840 Pro Basic / Seasonic X-850 / Dell U2711
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 2/7/2014 12:03:58 PM
K
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3dementedlullabyPosted 2/7/2014 12:06:03 PM
Timmmmmme mAcccchiiine
---
XBL/PSN/NNID/Steam:DementedLullaby Origin:DL8286
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#4SampsonMPosted 2/7/2014 12:07:04 PM
Originally, yeah that was sort of how it was made.

As someone who played EQ from 2000-2004, the game had numerous flaws. The original creators of WoW were themselves hardcore EQ players. They shamelessly stole from the game, but fixed its many, many flaws.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#5DaedalusExPosted 2/7/2014 12:13:57 PM
You either haven't played Everquest or WoW. EQ definitely influenced WoW, but the games play very, very differently, whereas FFXIV is basically a reskin of WoW.
#6GynthaeresPosted 2/7/2014 12:25:23 PM
At the start, absolutely. I believe the WoW developers themselves said that they set out to make the best Everquest possible.

Sadly, WoW has dramatically strayed from that since then.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#7Hi CPosted 2/7/2014 12:36:41 PM
Dirk85UK posted...
"Everyone play EverQuest for the next year and copy everything it does!"

That's why it's the opposite of everything EQ was, am I right?

It copied more from Dark Age of Camelot and other games than it did EQ.

All WoW did was take basic raid and character leveling concepts and casualize them to the point there was no risk/reward left.
---
You'll be my John G.
#8Hi CPosted 2/7/2014 12:37:44 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
You either haven't played Everquest or WoW. EQ definitely influenced WoW, but the games play very, very differently, whereas FFXIV is basically a reskin of WoW.

Not to mention FFXI was more of a EQ clone than World of Warcraft.
---
You'll be my John G.
#9SampsonMPosted 2/7/2014 12:56:18 PM
DaedalusEx posted...

Blizzard themselves have admitted that they copied EQ. They even hired major EQ guild leaders like Tigole who was known for his blog posts about how to make EQ better.

Basically what Blizzard did is they took EQ and made it appeal to the mainstream masses. EQ was a great game, but a niche product. Things like experience penalties for dying and crafting time sinks prevented it from ever catching on except among the most hardcore of players.

This isn't to insult Blizzard or something. Companies do this all the time. Great example was Apple and iPhone -- there were plenty of smartphones out there before iPhone, and many of them were far better than the first generation iPhone. Apple just made it appeal to the masses.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/j-allen-brack-everquest-is-the-big-foundation-of-world-of-war/
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#10SlaynPosted 2/7/2014 12:58:32 PM
You know before WoW came out, people called most MMO "Everquest clones" and then WoW set the bar. So yeah basically they did call it an Everquest clone. Before EQ, there were only a few MMO, and AFAIK Ultima Online was the biggest and it was nothing like WoW.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505