This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

2 cheap computers which will require less work to upgrade?

#1king_maddenPosted 2/8/2014 2:06:38 AM
i was going to just build one, and spend about $600, but after convincing from friends and the old lady, im going to get a ps4, but I still need a pc, so im going to get a pc, just a super cheap one that i can hopefully upgrade slowly down the road if i need to. so instead of $600 pc, its $400 console, $200 pc (its a console house, dont burn me at the stake for the ps4 purchase lol).

anywho, this are 2 pre built computers, but at the price i figured they couldnt be too bad.

dell optiplex 990
i7 2600 3.4ghz
4 gb ram
1 tb hdd
windows 7

HP E9150T
i7 920 2.67ghz
12 gb ddr
500gb hdd
windows vista

i can put a gpu in either, so i didnt even bother to list those, and i can upgrade the psu if need be since that wont cost much, but for $200 would either of these be decent enough to work with? my old pc was just a gateway lx-6200-01, i just want something better than that old school, because even it ran everything i liked to play. (to give you an idea of the lack of power i need)
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/8/2014 2:13:43 AM(edited)
I have to say, you have terrible friends.
The i7 2600 is a decent processor still. The 920 is older and slower. You can always replace the RAM, that's cheap. If the PSU isn't terrible, you could throw a videocard in it and it would be fine.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#3king_madden(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 2:22:53 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
The i7 2600 is a decent processor still. The 920 is older and slower. You can always replace the RAM, that's cheap. If the PSU isn't terrible, you could throw a videocard in it and it would be fine.

ok so would you say its a better idea to get the 2600, and upgrade the memory, and psu, rather than just upgrading the psu on the 920? better idea as in the extra cost would be worth it performance wise.
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/8/2014 2:30:16 AM
king_madden posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

ok so would you say its a better idea to get the 2600, and upgrade the memory, and psu, rather than just upgrading the psu on the 920? better idea as in the extra cost would be worth it performance wise.

Well, the 2600 is going to perform a lot better than the 920, so there's that. Memory isn't that expensive, either. An extra 4GB wouldn't cost much. A full replacement of 8GB would probably run $50-80, and you could turn around and sell the used sticks for $25-30 probably.
It's a lot harder to upgrade the CPU of a system. Generally, you want a good CPU so that you can just replace the GPU down the line for more performance.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#5LOLIAmAnAltPosted 2/8/2014 2:36:03 AM
That first one seems pretty decent for $200.
Someone tell me if I am wrong!
Do we know if it has the correct slot for a graphics card?
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#6king_madden(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 2:51:54 AM
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...

from researching online, its a mini tower case, and other people have claimed that a graphics card can be installed into it.

with it being a mini tower though, im realizing that my old iceq Radeon HD 4850 probably wont fit since its huge. so will probably need to find another card for that one as well.
#7Fade2black001Posted 2/8/2014 3:21:43 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
king_madden posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Well, the 2600 is going to perform a lot better than the 920, so there's that. Memory isn't that expensive, either. An extra 4GB wouldn't cost much. A full replacement of 8GB would probably run $50-80, and you could turn around and sell the used sticks for $25-30 probably.
It's a lot harder to upgrade the CPU of a system. Generally, you want a good CPU so that you can just replace the GPU down the line for more performance.

18 months ago one could get 8GB of RAM for like 35 bucks. RAM has easily doubled in price since then.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#8king_madden(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 3:52:22 AM
fade do you agree with picking the dell over the hp in this case?

anyone else?
#9Lonestar2000Posted 2/8/2014 3:53:16 AM
king_madden posted...
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...

from researching online, its a mini tower case, and other people have claimed that a graphics card can be installed into it.

with it being a mini tower though, im realizing that my old iceq Radeon HD 4850 probably wont fit since its huge. so will probably need to find another card for that one as well.

Looks like there are different version. If it is a mini-tower I wouldn't bother.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#10king_madden(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 3:55:38 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
king_madden posted...
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...

Looks like there are different version. If it is a mini-tower I wouldn't bother.

mini towers arent worth the extra trouble? any particular reason? or is it just because they are smaller?