This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video card not displaying

#1darkavian000Posted 2/8/2014 8:08:44 PM
A buddy of mine whom I recently sent a spare comp I had laying around cannot get a new card I sent him to display. The comp is a Dell Studio XPS 8000

specs
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-studio-xps-8000/4507-3118_7-33777297.html

the card that was in it was a gtx260 and the one i sent him to replace it is a gtx560.

http://www.gpureview.com/geforce-gtx-260-card-568.html

http://www.gpureview.com/geforce-gtx-560-card-657.html

the 260 works fine but when he puts in the 560 he gets the windows logo showing that the OS is loading and then the screen goes black with no signal. it booted up a couple of times but device manager stated that the computer needs to be restarted for it to work. which is typical if you change out two cards of the same type. it detected the card and prompted for a restart and now he's not getting any video. switching back to the 260 makes it work just fine and the card does not appear damaged in any way.

i have exhausted every means that i have as to figuring out what the problem is and any help would be appeciated
---
Wow the amount of ignorant elitism here is staggering and facepalm worthy, to say the least. -SPYDER0416
#2fataliPosted 2/8/2014 9:18:33 PM
First, did he uninstall the drivers before installing the new card?

Second, is he making all the connections that card needs? I believe the 560 have 2 connectors of 6 pins for power, not sure how many does the 260 need.

Did he try booting in safe mode with the 560 installed?
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#3darkavian000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 8:34:49 AM
yes to all. the 260 has the same connectors and he's tried booting up in safe mode. deleting and reinstalling the drivers are unnecessary as both cards use the same ones but he's done that as well. i was thinking this was a PCIE compatibility issue but both cards are 2.0 as is the socket on the motherboard.
I'm wondering if the damned thing isn't actually damaged in some way but it arrived to him exactly as i had packaged it and it was working perfectly beforehand. one of the times that the thing booted up proper the gpu meter i have installed on it detected the correct card and the other time it did not (prompting a reboot)

I'll be having him ship the card back to me soon if i can't find any solution to this problem. i'm fully expecting this card to work when i plug it back into my tower after he sends it back so i'm trying desperately to find a way to figure out a solution to this. but i guess i won't really know until i get it back.
if anyone has any more ideas or even crazy suggestions i'm all open to it! thanks guys

PS - Don't buy prebuilt Dells
---
Wow the amount of ignorant elitism here is staggering and facepalm worthy, to say the least. -SPYDER0416
#4Fear The ClownPosted 2/9/2014 9:47:50 AM(edited)
If he still can't boot have him use the onboard video(take out the new GPU first). Try uninstalling everything related to the video card, drivers, any OC software, and probably the GPU meter. Turn off, put in the new GPU and boot. Now try to install the correct display drivers and see what happens.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#5darkavian000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 11:02:32 AM
Oddly enough there is no onboard video for this build so it must have a card in it to display. I've told him to do everything else similar tho. Delete the drivers via the control panels programs and features, then reboot (should be in low res mode) then manually find the folder for the drivers if there are any and delete them. shutdown then switch out the cards and reboot. the device manager should attempt to recognize the card if it doesn't already remember it from last time, then reinstall the drivers and reboot. That should works just as well i imagine considering the no onboard issue.

the only other thing i can think of is that there isn't enough power in the damned thing to really power the card. which may be true but as far as i am aware should not stop it from displaying or anything, it would just run games like ass.

is there anything in the bios that could be changed that i'm missing you think?
---
#6Fear The ClownPosted 2/9/2014 11:21:10 AM
No most of your bios options are locked anyways. This is kind of obvious but have you had this person reseat the new card? Also what happens when they put the old one in, dos everything automatically work like it did before?
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#7darkavian000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 11:50:29 AM
he has reseated the card several times and it fits fine and all. putting the old card in and rebooting makes it work just fine. he tried what i posted a post back and the card displayed and read properly on the gpu meter but upon restarting he gets a black screen.
---
#8Lonestar2000Posted 2/9/2014 12:10:13 PM
PSU might not be strong enough.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335