This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Vampire the Masquerade Combat Mod

#1Guitar_Hero_GuyPosted 2/8/2014 11:13:43 PM
Hey there,

Sorry to ask on this board, but the game board is rather dead. Is there a mod that makes the combat fun? I'm loving this game, just not so much in the combat aspect. The balancing is all over the place.

Thanks!
---
Steam ID - Jaxxxson
#2LordOfLegaciesPosted 2/8/2014 11:31:06 PM(edited)
Not really. It's a lot better once you start getting stronger, ESPECIALLY if you're using melee combat and are playing a clan with the Celerity discipline. Animalism, Protean, and Potence are also awesome disciplines for melee characters.
Don't forget that you can block, once you get the hang of that it's a real game changer.
If you're focusing on ranged combat I'm afraid there's not much to do for it. Try and get a crossbow early on. They're not very powerful but they still make you feel like a badass vampire, unlike the shotguns and machine guns and whatnot you get.
Tell us about your playthrough. Clan, quests you've done or are going to do, if you're good or evil, etc.

And I say make as many topics about the game as you want here. I and many others love the game but like you said, the board is dead so we don't get to talk about it as much as we'd like.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#3XialohPosted 2/8/2014 11:51:38 PM
I reached Chinatown in that game and kind of dropped it like a year ago. It's the strangest thing though. I loved almost everything about it. Will get back to it sooner or later.

Oh, and the Clan Quest mod seems pretty popular. I THINK that's the one I used, but I'm not sure. Some guy I knew at the time walked me through the whole process and I hopped right in. It rebalances the game, but I don't suppose that necessarily makes the combat fun.
---
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
#4LordOfLegaciesPosted 2/8/2014 11:53:32 PM
It doesn't change the combat hardly at all. And the rule of thumb, especially with RPGs, and ESPECIALLY with this game is to play it a few times unmodded, then move on to mods.
It's got huge amounts of replay value all on its own.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
#5lostlibrarianPosted 2/9/2014 4:24:09 AM
Have to agree that melee and celerity make the combat much better, especially once you get celerity up nice and high. You might want to pay more attention to stealth if you havent been doing that: any section with humans as the main enemy isn't actually designed for fighting.

One caveat: the nosferatu sewers *really* suck. Doesn't matter how you're playing, that bit is a chore. The endgame can also be a bit of a slog.
#6Guitar_Hero_Guy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 8:49:02 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
Not really. It's a lot better once you start getting stronger, ESPECIALLY if you're using melee combat and are playing a clan with the Celerity discipline. Animalism, Protean, and Potence are also awesome disciplines for melee characters.
Don't forget that you can block, once you get the hang of that it's a real game changer.
If you're focusing on ranged combat I'm afraid there's not much to do for it. Try and get a crossbow early on. They're not very powerful but they still make you feel like a badass vampire, unlike the shotguns and machine guns and whatnot you get.
Tell us about your playthrough. Clan, quests you've done or are going to do, if you're good or evil, etc.

And I say make as many topics about the game as you want here. I and many others love the game but like you said, the board is dead so we don't get to talk about it as much as we'd like.

Well, I have 10 melee and 9 firearms, (I've gotta be close to the end now) I'm doing a few quests into Chinatown as a Ventrue. I wanted to go full out melee, but the tests at a certain facility (trying to be spoiler free) made me go firearms to get out of there. Fortitude seems to be very strong at soaking damage at least.

Xialoh posted...
I reached Chinatown in that game and kind of dropped it like a year ago. It's the strangest thing though. I loved almost everything about it. Will get back to it sooner or later.

Oh, and the Clan Quest mod seems pretty popular. I THINK that's the one I used, but I'm not sure. Some guy I knew at the time walked me through the whole process and I hopped right in. It rebalances the game, but I don't suppose that necessarily makes the combat fun.

It may help, I'll definitely look into it, but I'm in the same area right now, so maybe I'm feeling what you did haha.

LordOfLegacies posted...
It doesn't change the combat hardly at all. And the rule of thumb, especially with RPGs, and ESPECIALLY with this game is to play it a few times unmodded, then move on to mods.
It's got huge amounts of replay value all on its own.

Oh I can definitely see the replay value, I want to play it again, but I'm really dreading the combat, so much so that I don't really want to play again. Funny enough, I think good combat makes a game, and I'm still REALLY into this game, loving it, story is awesome.

lostlibrarian posted...
Have to agree that melee and celerity make the combat much better, especially once you get celerity up nice and high. You might want to pay more attention to stealth if you havent been doing that: any section with humans as the main enemy isn't actually designed for fighting.

One caveat: the nosferatu sewers *really* suck. Doesn't matter how you're playing, that bit is a chore. The endgame can also be a bit of a slog.

Well, I don't have celerity, but I am going melee, I'll have to try that eventually. And the end-game is what's getting me, the mutated creatures with 3 bodies are so anti-fun, it's dumb. I do try stealth every chance I get, but my character isn't really built around it, so it falls short.

Thanks for the responses!
---
Steam ID - Jaxxxson
#7Guitar_Hero_Guy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 9:59:41 AM
Okay, I'm at Hell at the Hotel Hallowbrook, and it's almost like I'm in a different building, it doesn't look like any playthroughs that I looked up after being completely confused, as there's no enterable door and it's a 4 floor building with no enemies until I get to the bottom and they spawn. Even after killing them, nothing happens, it's almost like that part of the game is missing, has anyone had this?
---
Steam ID - Jaxxxson
#8LordOfLegaciesPosted 2/10/2014 2:44:49 AM
Guitar_Hero_Guy posted...
1. Well, I have 10 melee and 9 firearms, (I've gotta be close to the end now) I'm doing a few quests into Chinatown as a Ventrue. I wanted to go full out melee, but the tests at a certain facility (trying to be spoiler free) made me go firearms to get out of there. Fortitude seems to be very strong at soaking damage at least.

2. Oh I can definitely see the replay value, I want to play it again, but I'm really dreading the combat, so much so that I don't really want to play again. Funny enough, I think good combat makes a game, and I'm still REALLY into this game, loving it, story is awesome.

3. Well, I don't have celerity, but I am going melee, I'll have to try that eventually. And the end-game is what's getting me, the mutated creatures with 3 bodies are so anti-fun, it's dumb.

4. I do try stealth every chance I get, but my character isn't really built around it, so it falls short.

1. Playing Ventrue is part of the problem there. IMO they're the most boring clan to play as. The Dominate discipline comes in pretty damn handy sometimes but they're just way too dull for my tastes. I would recommend a Brujah for your next run. Having Celerity really does make all the difference in the world when it comes to melee combat. It's so much easier and less frustrating, and add Potence on top of that and you're gonna be like the Hulk and the Flash combined.

2. Again, really it does make all the difference in the world. If it's really that bad though you might cheat a bit at the beginning to give yourself a little kickstart. Go to create your character, allocate your stat points, then go back to the Clan menu and change the gender. Change it back then go back to the sheet, you'll have more points plus the points you've already spent. DON'T GO OVERBOARD ON THAT!!!

3. I definitely get what you mean. Especially when you're in the sewers and there's a f***ton of them around every corner. That level is the most tedious one in the entire game, so that's another spot giving yourself a little boost comes in handy. Being able to kill effectively makes that level sooo much easier you can't believe it.

4. Stealth is fun, and if you choose a clan with Obfuscate like the Nosferatu it's pretty goddamn powerful once you get it maxed. I don't like to use it personally because it's way too easy to fall into the habit of using nothing but hit and run tactics. Kill, run, turn invisible, rinse & repeat, it gets old quick.

Not sure about your Hotel Hallowbrook problem, but that's one of the longer levels in the game and it can get confusing as to where to go. Just keep plugging away if you haven't beaten it already. You're very close to the end of the game if you haven't beaten it already.

Tell me more. Do you have high or low humanity, who are you siding with, what ending you got, all that good stuff.
---
#9Guitar_Hero_Guy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 9:07:05 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
Guitar_Hero_Guy posted...
1. Well, I have 10 melee and 9 firearms, (I've gotta be close to the end now) I'm doing a few quests into Chinatown as a Ventrue. I wanted to go full out melee, but the tests at a certain facility (trying to be spoiler free) made me go firearms to get out of there. Fortitude seems to be very strong at soaking damage at least.

2. Oh I can definitely see the replay value, I want to play it again, but I'm really dreading the combat, so much so that I don't really want to play again. Funny enough, I think good combat makes a game, and I'm still REALLY into this game, loving it, story is awesome.

3. Well, I don't have celerity, but I am going melee, I'll have to try that eventually. And the end-game is what's getting me, the mutated creatures with 3 bodies are so anti-fun, it's dumb.

4. I do try stealth every chance I get, but my character isn't really built around it, so it falls short.

1. Playing Ventrue is part of the problem there. IMO they're the most boring clan to play as. The Dominate discipline comes in pretty damn handy sometimes but they're just way too dull for my tastes. I would recommend a Brujah for your next run. Having Celerity really does make all the difference in the world when it comes to melee combat. It's so much easier and less frustrating, and add Potence on top of that and you're gonna be like the Hulk and the Flash combined.

2. Again, really it does make all the difference in the world. If it's really that bad though you might cheat a bit at the beginning to give yourself a little kickstart. Go to create your character, allocate your stat points, then go back to the Clan menu and change the gender. Change it back then go back to the sheet, you'll have more points plus the points you've already spent. DON'T GO OVERBOARD ON THAT!!!

3. I definitely get what you mean. Especially when you're in the sewers and there's a f***ton of them around every corner. That level is the most tedious one in the entire game, so that's another spot giving yourself a little boost comes in handy. Being able to kill effectively makes that level sooo much easier you can't believe it.

4. Stealth is fun, and if you choose a clan with Obfuscate like the Nosferatu it's pretty goddamn powerful once you get it maxed. I don't like to use it personally because it's way too easy to fall into the habit of using nothing but hit and run tactics. Kill, run, turn invisible, rinse & repeat, it gets old quick.

Not sure about your Hotel Hallowbrook problem, but that's one of the longer levels in the game and it can get confusing as to where to go. Just keep plugging away if you haven't beaten it already. You're very close to the end of the game if you haven't beaten it already.

Tell me more. Do you have high or low humanity, who are you siding with, what ending you got, all that good stuff.

Thanks for all the info, it definitely sounds like a change of clan is what I need.

However, as to the Hotel Hallowbrooke problem, it's something that persists, and I fear it will happen on every character that I play. I almost wonder if it's something to do with the latest patch, messing up the areas, as it's more similar to a library than the hotel, but either way, I cannot progress on that character.

I'm mildly flattened by it though, it took around 22 hours to get there (though it definitely won't take that long on a second try), so I think the best thing to do is go Brujah, but I worry I'll come into the same issue, considering (to my knowledge) the main quests are the same.

It's rather unfortunate, as I really am wondering what's in that darn coffin haha.
---
Steam ID - Jaxxxson
#10SinisterSlayPosted 2/10/2014 9:22:54 AM
Just go Malkavian, you'll laugh your a** off at the conversations.
It gets really funny when you start to read their minds and can coerce people to tell you stuff just by blurting it out.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence