This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the Batman Arkham games better with a controller or kb and m?

#51battlfrnt2006Posted 2/10/2014 9:16:14 AM
Spawn_LOLs posted...
Do you think a PS2 controller will be good enough then?

Yes. I use a DualShock 2 and it works just fine.
---
GT: CapraDaemon / PSN (Vita/PSP): mtllica / SteamID: falloutnut
Now Playing: Elder Scrolls Online Beta, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Skyrim (PC)
#52AsucaHayashiPosted 2/10/2014 9:25:57 AM
Jesus Christ, just freaking admit that a keyboard wasn't designed to be used like that.

why exactly should i admit something when there's no basis for it and you have yet to prove otherwise(for the specific design of this game obv).

apparently the poster thought that the shortcuts went all the way to 8 which would be impossible for anybody but 5 at most isn't difficult at all.

Good thing I use the claw grip to keep control of the camera on controller.(thumb on right stick, index finger on face buttons) it's very comfortable and I can easily switch back to my thumb for beatdowns and special moves.

good for you that you've found a workaround for the limitations.

i personally would find it annoying having to switch hand positions for normal attacks/shortcut gadgets/special moves whilst maintaining camera control but great that you can make it work.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#53Spawn_LOLs(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 9:30:12 AM
battlfrnt2006 posted...
Spawn_LOLs posted...
Do you think a PS2 controller will be good enough then?

Yes. I use a DualShock 2 and it works just fine.

Really? How did you make it work?? Because i cant :/
#54pothocketPosted 2/10/2014 9:55:01 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
Jesus Christ, just freaking admit that a keyboard wasn't designed to be used like that.

why exactly should i admit something when there's no basis for it and you have yet to prove otherwise(for the specific design of this game obv).

I'm sorry, what are you asking me to prove? If the standard layout of keys was designed with games in mind? I didn't think I needed to "prove" that keyboards are based on typewriters, not games.
#55GynthaeresPosted 2/10/2014 10:05:12 AM
pothocket posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

if you can't reach 4 or 5 with your index finger without moving your hand away then ...

This is completely and utterly irrelevant, and you need to stop trying to bring it up as if it's an argument in favor of controllers.
What it was "designed for" doesn't matter. What matters is how well it works. And people like myself would say it actually works better with a KB&M vs. a controller.

For example, quickfiring gadgets or using special moves. On a controller?

Left trigger + A/B/X/Y
Left trigger x2
Right trigger x2
B+Y
A+X
A+B
X+Y

On PC?
Q
C
MB4
MB5
E
R
T
Y (note these last four are all in a row on the keyboard)
You can also double-tap 1-5 to quickfire a gadget if you want to.

I don't remember if those are the default or not... I know I rebound stuff to MB4 & MB5, but I can't remember what they were originally.
Regardless, don't like the bindings I listed above? Rebind them to something you feel is more natural. Personally, I think that's much easier than remembering which controller combination is which. And executing said controller combination, a bit easier to hit one button than to hit two simultaneously

Spawn_LOLs posted...
Gynthaeres posted...
I preferred KB + Mouse...

But then, I'm also a KB + Mouse player for pretty much everything that's not a 2D platformer, and doesn't require pure movement precision. Ease and speed of aiming / looking around + numerous hotkeys > slightly more accurate movement.

Iam curious now, which other adventure games did you play with kb and mouse? What about games like Assassins Creed and DmC?

Easier to say what I don't play with a KB&M. But you did end up picking two I used a controller for.
DmC, I went with a controller because of the Demon/Angel weapon mechanic. Seemed easier to hold a trigger than to hold Q or E (though in retrospect, I probably could've rebound those to one of my four side mouse buttons and made it work fine).

Assassin's Creed, I started with 2 on the PC, and couldn't figure out the controls right at the start, thanks to the fact that it didn't give button prompts: It told you to use your "head" or "feet" or whatever. And the icons were plainly laid out in the upper-right for a controller's face buttons, so I just went with a controller.

But games I use a M&K on? Off the top of my head, Skyrim, Remember Me, all three Batman: Arkham games, and pretty much any game involving shooting including Mass Effect, Borderlands, Resident Evil: Revelations, and Saints Row
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#56AsucaHayashiPosted 2/10/2014 10:17:38 AM(edited)
pothocket posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

I'm sorry, what are you asking me to prove? If the standard layout of keys was designed with games in mind? I didn't think I needed to "prove" that keyboards are based on typewriters, not games.

the original intention of the keyboard design is irrelevant. it's the application for it that matters and as far as i have argued, the way it's applied to the arkham games makes it better than the alternatives unless proven otherwise.

Assassin's Creed, I started with 2 on the PC, and couldn't figure out the controls right at the start, thanks to the fact that it didn't give button prompts: It told you to use your "head" or "feet" or whatever. And the icons were plainly laid out in the upper-right for a controller's face buttons, so I just went with a controller.

heh i remember this one... i went with it long enough to figure out what was what and just stayed with m/kb.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#57Tyranius2Posted 2/10/2014 10:18:20 AM
pothocket posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

if you can't reach 4 or 5 with your index finger without moving your hand away then ...

While I agree that it's horrible to double tap 5 while moving around, I never had that problem because I use AutoHotkey to rebind keys I don't like.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#58pothocketPosted 2/10/2014 10:26:23 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
pothocket posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

While I agree that it's horrible to double tap 5 while moving around, I never had that problem because I use AutoHotkey to rebind keys I don't like.

Yeah, I'm getting that a lot of people ended up having to custom map their keys in order to work around the limitations of M+K.
#59SinisterSlayPosted 2/10/2014 10:28:26 AM
pothocket posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
pothocket posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

Yeah, I'm getting that a lot of people ended up having to custom map their keys in order to work around the limitations of M+K.

Once upon a time, in a gaming universe far far away, controls used to be customizable in games. You could set any key combination you want, and use any controller you want.
But what Microsoft give'th, they take'th away with the x360 controller.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#60Termin8rPosted 2/10/2014 12:13:57 PM
There are only two types of games that I would concede that a controller is better for and those are fighting games and 2D platformers. Everything else KBM can do either just as well if not better.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif