This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Drox operative worth it?

#1TowerBooks3192Posted 2/9/2014 10:07:01 PM
Graphics aside (we could discuss here the whole day how awful it looks compared to others but I reckon its one of their more decent looking game).

Is the game worth it in terms of content for the price I pay for it? (I reckon it would cost me $29.99 for base game plus expansion). Read reviews and did some research but would prefer to hear experiences from people who played the full game or sunk tons of hours in it.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#2jokujokujokuPosted 2/9/2014 10:11:55 PM
One of my favorite games at the moment. Easily worth it in my opinion.
#3TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 10:16:45 PM
jokujokujoku posted...
One of my favorite games at the moment. Easily worth it in my opinion.

Been enjoying the demo but a bit apprehensive of shelling out $30 as of the moment with valentines day pretty well on its way.

How are the options and stuff to do in the game and the looting? I kinda wished for a MnB style with tons of options like just be a trader or a mercenary but I think you can't make your own faction as you are loyal to the Drox?
---
#4jokujokujokuPosted 2/9/2014 10:45:22 PM
If it comes down to it, you can always buy the base game now and get the expansion later.

The looting is fantastic. As you should know by playing the demo, there is no skill tree. You get all your skills through your equipment. This makes your loot much more important. And the loot gets much more interesting as you get higher in levels.

The game is much closer to Diablo than it is to MnB. You're a lone mercenary and that's how it's always going to be.
#5TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 10:48:58 PM
jokujokujoku posted...
If it comes down to it, you can always buy the base game now and get the expansion later.

The looting is fantastic. As you should know by playing the demo, there is no skill tree. You get all your skills through your equipment. This makes your loot much more important. And the loot gets much more interesting as you get higher in levels.

The game is much closer to Diablo than it is to MnB. You're a lone mercenary and that's how it's always going to be.

Ok, Cheers! I kind of expected mount and blade-ish kind of game due to the factions but a bit disappointed as I would love to manipulate all factions in to warring then start my own faction and kill all of them.
---
#6TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 11:12:42 PM
Just a question, how is it compared to space rangers?
---
#7jokujokujokuPosted 2/10/2014 9:51:07 AM
I've never played Space Rangers. In fact I hadn't even heard of the game before Drox Operative. I've seen a lot of people saying that it looks like Space Rangers. But I don't recall anyone saying how the two actually compared.
#8TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 5:09:05 AM
jokujokujoku posted...
I've never played Space Rangers. In fact I hadn't even heard of the game before Drox Operative. I've seen a lot of people saying that it looks like Space Rangers. But I don't recall anyone saying how the two actually compared.

Ok. Will want to get more insights on things. I just got Din's Curse and I reckon its more stressful than Drox unless you have a goal or something that needs to be done in a particular sector. The other thing that worries me are the loot qualities and whether there are legendaries to hunt or not.
---
#9jokujokujokuPosted 2/11/2014 11:17:49 AM
TowerBooks3192 posted...
I just got Din's Curse and I reckon its more stressful than Drox unless you have a goal or something that needs to be done in a particular sector.

I think the thing that makes Din's more stressful than Drox is that you have one very specific goal: keep the town alive. In Drox, you set your own goal. You get to choose which races you throw your weight behind and which races to go to war with. And with several different ways to win, the game does lose a lot of the tension that Din's had, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how much you liked Din's tension.

TowerBooks3192 posted...
The other thing that worries me are the loot qualities and whether there are legendaries to hunt or not.

"Legendary" is the highest rarity class for items in this game, but it may not mean what I think you're suggesting. Drox doesn't have any unique items, so legendary items just come with extra random modifiers. And, while still quite useful, legendary items in Drox just don't have the longevity of legendaries in, say, Din's.

Unfortunately, Drox doesn't have any set items either. I'm actually trying to find out from the developer why that is. I'm thinking it has something to do with technical limitations due to the difference in the way equipment is handled in this game. But if the code is still in place, I may try my hand at adding a set or two in via modding.

Most of the fun of the loot in Drox comes from finding new classes of items with new abilities.