This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really excited for the Oculus Rift. I've felt PC exclusives have been a bit dry

#1lonlonmilkloverPosted 2/10/2014 12:13:04 AM
... the last decade plus.

It feels as if there was an explosion of great PC games from the late 80s to the late 90s, seemingly what some call the "golden age" of PC gaming. So many innovations, creativity, great gameplay, et cetera.

I notice the trend in both PC and console gaming that the greater the graphics capabilities get, the more that visuals seem to be exponentially the focus rather than actual gameplay.

That being said, I've got a modest PC that plays every game at 60fps on High Detail, yet the majority of games I've had the most fun with are the lower resolution indie games from Steam.

The Oculus Rift however, really sounds and looks as if it will inject a refreshing wave of sparks into the PC gaming world again, and open up many more fresh ideas.

I'm just having a hard time finding any real full-feature major PC exclusives in the meantime. I suppose the constant delays of Phantasy Star Online 2 and a few other titles that have ended up being either canceled or delayed further have really gotten to me.

Obduction is one of the titles that has me really pining for the Oculus. Anybody else have any future favorites, or any suggestions as a holdover until the time comes?
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#2EpicKingdom_Posted 2/10/2014 12:22:47 AM
I disagree with you and I don't like you sir.
---
You're not Master Race until the Gaben reveals himself before you. ALL of himself. https://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#3matu90rkPosted 2/10/2014 12:31:30 AM
It's like when people got excited over the Wiimote/PSmove/Kinect/3D. Games need well-thought gameplay, not gimmicky features based around gimmicky gadgets.

inb4 "it could be good if done right".

It won't.
#4Damaged7Posted 2/10/2014 2:32:18 AM
Its not so much a gimmick here because its just another way to view the game. Its not gonna drastically change the way games are created.
---
Bold Text
#5steker16Posted 2/10/2014 4:07:42 AM
matu90rk posted...
It's like when people got excited over the Wiimote/PSmove/Kinect/3D.

yea, except it's nothing like that
#6tasadar24Posted 2/10/2014 4:23:04 AM
steker16 posted...
matu90rk posted...

---
"What kind of dumbass runs from the cops and returns to the scene of the crime a minute later" -asked of a forumite
#7MaxCHEATER64Posted 2/10/2014 4:25:01 AM
tasadar24 posted...
steker16 posted...
matu90rk posted...

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#8-5xad0w-Posted 2/10/2014 4:44:13 AM
lonlonmilklover posted...
... the last decade plus.

It feels as if there was an explosion of great PC games from the late 80s to the late 90s, seemingly what some call the "golden age" of PC gaming. So many innovations, creativity, great gameplay, et cetera.

I notice the trend in both PC and console gaming that the greater the graphics capabilities get, the more that visuals seem to be exponentially the focus rather than actual gameplay.

That being said, I've got a modest PC that plays every game at 60fps on High Detail, yet the majority of games I've had the most fun with are the lower resolution indie games from Steam.

The Oculus Rift however, really sounds and looks as if it will inject a refreshing wave of sparks into the PC gaming world again, and open up many more fresh ideas.

I'm just having a hard time finding any real full-feature major PC exclusives in the meantime. I suppose the constant delays of Phantasy Star Online 2 and a few other titles that have ended up being either canceled or delayed further have really gotten to me.

Obduction is one of the titles that has me really pining for the Oculus. Anybody else have any future favorites, or any suggestions as a holdover until the time comes?

The Forest as well as EVE Valkyrie.

The most fun I've had so far (aside from Dreadhalls, which is just a tech demo but hints at what dungeons crawlers could be like on the rift) is just flying around Chernarus in Arma II using TriDef.

It's not perfect (as most driver retrofitted games are) but it's surprisingly immersive.

Skyrim is also cool just for wandering around with an already leveled character since the 3D works pretty well with Vireio.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#9lonlonmilklover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 4:21:10 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
I disagree with you and I don't like you sir.

Lol, instantly thought of this.

http://youtu.be/cDGlN6mluGA
---
#10lonlonmilklover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 4:26:18 PM(edited)
matu90rk posted...
It's like when people got excited over the Wiimote/PSmove/Kinect/3D. Games need well-thought gameplay, not gimmicky features based around gimmicky gadgets.

inb4 "it could be good if done right".

It won't.

You say gimmick as if it's a bad thing.

Gimmick n. 1. "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business."

The Wii Remote is a beautiful thing. It brings more challenge and focus in well done games like Skyward Sword, as well as brings an arcade pistol feel to others such as Resident Evil: Dark Chronicles, without the $600+ cost of a standup arcade cabinet to get that Area 51 thrill.

That's quite a fun little trick, and it certainly attracted my attention and got my business.
---