This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really excited for the Oculus Rift. I've felt PC exclusives have been a bit dry

#11Edavy89Posted 2/10/2014 5:04:46 PM
matu90rk posted...
It's like when people got excited over the Wiimote/PSmove/Kinect/3D. Games need well-thought gameplay, not gimmicky features based around gimmicky gadgets.

inb4 "it could be good if done right".

It won't.

As someone who got a chance to play Hawken on the Oculus at one of their demo's, it's one HELL of a gimmick. It changes the games feel drastically, it's pretty damn impressive.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#12arleasPosted 2/10/2014 5:10:34 PM
Controller vibrating is pretty much a gimmick. It adds something to a game, but it's pretty minor.

Motion controls are a gimmick because it's rare when it adds something to a game that makes the game drastically better. Mostly sports games seem to benefit from motion controls.

I don't think the Rift is a gimmick any more than having multiple monitors is a gimmick. It allows you to be able see in 3D and look anywhere you want naturally, and for some stuff (simulators and some first person games) it'll be awesome. Using Oculus Rift to play something like Super Mario Bros? That would be a gimmick.

I mostly want one for games like Elite Dangerous, Euro Truck simulator 2, or any game where I'm expected to play as if I am in that world in the first person... those games would benefit from the Rift.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#13lonlonmilklover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 5:13:22 PM
arleas posted...
Controller vibrating is pretty much a gimmick. It adds something to a game, but it's pretty minor.

Motion controls are a gimmick because it's rare when it adds something to a game that makes the game drastically better. Mostly sports games seem to benefit from motion controls.

I don't think the Rift is a gimmick any more than having multiple monitors is a gimmick. It allows you to be able see in 3D and look anywhere you want naturally, and for some stuff (simulators and some first person games) it'll be awesome. Using Oculus Rift to play something like Super Mario Bros? That would be a gimmick.

I mostly want one for games like Elite Dangerous, Euro Truck simulator 2, or any game where I'm expected to play as if I am in that world in the first person... those games would benefit from the Rift.

I'm looking forward to that aspect of it - anything in which you have taken on a first person view sounds like a boatload of fun and newly refined immersion.

I'm a huge fan of Cyan's Myst games, so Obduction really has my mind wandering.

Being a fan of the book Ready Player One" also has me pumped.
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
#14HELZEROPosted 2/10/2014 6:07:45 PM
lonlonmilklover posted...
... the last decade plus.

It feels as if there was an explosion of great PC games from the late 80s to the late 90s, seemingly what some call the "golden age" of PC gaming. So many innovations, creativity, great gameplay, et cetera.

I notice the trend in both PC and console gaming that the greater the graphics capabilities get, the more that visuals seem to be exponentially the focus rather than actual gameplay.

That being said, I've got a modest PC that plays every game at 60fps on High Detail, yet the majority of games I've had the most fun with are the lower resolution indie games from Steam.

The Oculus Rift however, really sounds and looks as if it will inject a refreshing wave of sparks into the PC gaming world again, and open up many more fresh ideas.

I'm just having a hard time finding any real full-feature major PC exclusives in the meantime. I suppose the constant delays of Phantasy Star Online 2 and a few other titles that have ended up being either canceled or delayed further have really gotten to me.

Obduction is one of the titles that has me really pining for the Oculus. Anybody else have any future favorites, or any suggestions as a holdover until the time comes?

You said PSO2 so I love you TC
---
im on my mobile phone so excuse the cruddy spelling
#15DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/10/2014 6:18:45 PM
lonlonmilklover posted...
... the last decade plus.

It feels as if there was an explosion of great PC games from the late 80s to the late 90s, seemingly what some call the "golden age" of PC gaming. So many innovations, creativity, great gameplay, et cetera.

I notice the trend in both PC and console gaming that the greater the graphics capabilities get, the more that visuals seem to be exponentially the focus rather than actual gameplay.

That being said, I've got a modest PC that plays every game at 60fps on High Detail, yet the majority of games I've had the most fun with are the lower resolution indie games from Steam.

The Oculus Rift however, really sounds and looks as if it will inject a refreshing wave of sparks into the PC gaming world again, and open up many more fresh ideas.

I'm just having a hard time finding any real full-feature major PC exclusives in the meantime. I suppose the constant delays of Phantasy Star Online 2 and a few other titles that have ended up being either canceled or delayed further have really gotten to me.

Obduction is one of the titles that has me really pining for the Oculus. Anybody else have any future favorites, or any suggestions as a holdover until the time comes?

You know, there's a PSO2 fanslation about. IIRC, it even does the story bits.
I don't use it myself, but you might want to try it out.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#16ukemandwnbuPosted 2/10/2014 6:48:39 PM
What will Oculus Rift cost, and when will it release?
#17arleasPosted 2/10/2014 6:51:21 PM
What will Oculus Rift cost,

Well the dev kit is $300 I think so I can't imagine the final product will cost more than that, and I think they're actually trying to make it cheaper.

when will it release?

I wish I knew.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#18-5xad0w-Posted 2/10/2014 6:52:22 PM
ukemandwnbu posted...

Their stated plan is to try and keep it the same as the dev kits cost, $300 USD.

They did say though that they won't sacrifice quality if it means going over that mark.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#19cody4783Posted 2/10/2014 6:52:50 PM
ukemandwnbu posted...

That's the big issue. When a peripheral can cost almost as much as a new console...it's hard to justify if it's the sort of things a fractional percentage of games will even consider using as a feature---much less are significantly "Improved" by it.

Then again I have a racing wheel mounted in front of me and it's attached to the cockpit I'm sitting in so I can have a nice setup for racing games. So I'll just shut the f*** up right now.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#20lonlonmilklover(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 9:24:23 AM
I have no problem spending $300 or even $400 for the Rift since they already have 25+ games supported for it.

After all, that's over double the exclusives than the Xbox One and PS4 have available put together, and they're more expensive. Sounds like a much better value for the money.
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover