This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can 2 identical email addresses go to 2 different accounts?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How can 2 identical email addresses go to 2 different accounts?
2 years ago#1
My university email just logged me out, and I can't log back in. They did this whole Microsoft Outlook integration that just ruined everything.

My email is:

User@mail.university.edu

When I open up Firefox and try to log into my account via a different browser (usually use Chrome) I'm able to log in, finally, after two or three image verification checks. The email account there is:

User@mail.university.edu

Only it's not my student email account. It's a blank/new account with nothing in it.

I tried sending my gmail account a message from it to verify, and BOTH accounts use the SAME email address (user@mail.university.edu). How the hell is this even possible? It's taking a situation that is already infuriating, and making it incomprehensible, too.
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
2 years ago#2
you seem to have not included some info you assume we are aware of here

sounds like either: you only have one same as before and they deleted your inbox

or you have two different ways to log into the same email, ie a web portal and outlook.

I could set up the same email address in outlook, thunderbird, 'windows mail' and 14 other email programs and have the ability to send from any of them
^ this
2 years ago#3
itt: identity thief needs help identity theifing
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
2 years ago#4
You can have the same name for different accounts

Such as

Ipunchbabies@yahoo.com
Ipunchbabies@gmail.com
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
2 years ago#5
Pretty sure all my email gets routed to the NSA, ask them maybe.
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
2 years ago#6
No, the whole email address is identical.

The only thing I can think of is that one is a "Microsoft account" and the other one is an "Office 365" account, but it's really weird.
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
2 years ago#7
When I open up Firefox and try to log into my account via a different browser (usually use Chrome) I'm able to log in, finally, after two or three image verification checks. The email account there is:

Are you opening in Firefox or Chrome? Where is "there?" Do you use Outlook? Is it a web-based Outlook?

I tried sending my gmail account a message from it to verify, and BOTH accounts use the SAME email address (user@mail.university.edu). How the hell is this even possible? It's taking a situation that is already infuriating, and making it incomprehensible, too.

What accounts?
E-Mail A is sent from <application>
E-Mail B is sent from <application>

I'm going to guess and say you're using actual Microsoft Outlook software. If that's the case, it's entirely possible that your e-mail, when viewed from a browser, is empty. Mail applications have an option to download all e-mails locally. There is another option that deletes the e-mail from the server once it's downloaded. If the e-mails are all viewable in Outlook, but empty when viewed from a browser, this is probably what happened.

As far as captchas when logging in, there's either a problem on their end, or your browser is improperly configured.

And don't take offense, but please try to proofread your posts. Your original post is nearly incomprehensible.
I <3 segfault
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How can 2 identical email addresses go to 2 different accounts?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived