This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can 2 identical email addresses go to 2 different accounts?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 2/10/2014 1:32:20 AM
My university email just logged me out, and I can't log back in. They did this whole Microsoft Outlook integration that just ruined everything.

My email is:

User@mail.university.edu

When I open up Firefox and try to log into my account via a different browser (usually use Chrome) I'm able to log in, finally, after two or three image verification checks. The email account there is:

User@mail.university.edu

Only it's not my student email account. It's a blank/new account with nothing in it.

I tried sending my gmail account a message from it to verify, and BOTH accounts use the SAME email address (user@mail.university.edu). How the hell is this even possible? It's taking a situation that is already infuriating, and making it incomprehensible, too.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2LordSeiferPosted 2/10/2014 4:22:40 AM(edited)
you seem to have not included some info you assume we are aware of here

sounds like either: you only have one same as before and they deleted your inbox

or you have two different ways to log into the same email, ie a web portal and outlook.

I could set up the same email address in outlook, thunderbird, 'windows mail' and 14 other email programs and have the ability to send from any of them
---
^ this
#3Benjamin_ButtonPosted 2/10/2014 4:27:03 AM
itt: identity thief needs help identity theifing
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#4Fade2black001Posted 2/10/2014 5:34:48 AM
You can have the same name for different accounts

Such as

Ipunchbabies@yahoo.com
Ipunchbabies@gmail.com
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5-5xad0w-Posted 2/10/2014 5:55:29 AM
Pretty sure all my email gets routed to the NSA, ask them maybe.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#6Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 7:36:51 PM
No, the whole email address is identical.

The only thing I can think of is that one is a "Microsoft account" and the other one is an "Office 365" account, but it's really weird.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#7Treason686Posted 2/10/2014 7:55:27 PM
When I open up Firefox and try to log into my account via a different browser (usually use Chrome) I'm able to log in, finally, after two or three image verification checks. The email account there is:

Are you opening in Firefox or Chrome? Where is "there?" Do you use Outlook? Is it a web-based Outlook?

I tried sending my gmail account a message from it to verify, and BOTH accounts use the SAME email address (user@mail.university.edu). How the hell is this even possible? It's taking a situation that is already infuriating, and making it incomprehensible, too.

What accounts?
E-Mail A is sent from <application>
E-Mail B is sent from <application>

I'm going to guess and say you're using actual Microsoft Outlook software. If that's the case, it's entirely possible that your e-mail, when viewed from a browser, is empty. Mail applications have an option to download all e-mails locally. There is another option that deletes the e-mail from the server once it's downloaded. If the e-mails are all viewable in Outlook, but empty when viewed from a browser, this is probably what happened.

As far as captchas when logging in, there's either a problem on their end, or your browser is improperly configured.

And don't take offense, but please try to proofread your posts. Your original post is nearly incomprehensible.
---
I <3 segfault