This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which non-sub MMORPG would suit my style best?

#1Dave40kPosted 2/10/2014 3:45:58 AM
I've been playing WoW since release but since I got married much of my time is spent chaining dungeons with my wife. She likes healing and I like tanking. I have GW2 but from what little I've played (level 20 or 30) I can tell that it is not a dungeon spam kind of game. We enjoy leveling through nothing but dungeons, so what sub-free MMORPG do you think is best for that? I'm thinking RIft is likely a good choice. What about SWTOR? With both these games I just mentioned, how limited is the gameplay without paying any money? And how much investment should be made to get over any of the ridiciulous limitations?
#2RyukazerPosted 2/10/2014 3:50:06 AM
I'd have to say rift would suit your needs best. I'm sure you can get much more gameplay out of it without spending much compared to SWToR. :)
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 |Sapphire 7950 3GB | 8GB Kingston HyperX Red | Storm Enforcer | 212 EVO
Pokemon X/Y FC: 0318-7655-1600
#3ViperEO2Posted 2/10/2014 7:35:31 AM
Rift is pretty great for a F2P MMO, there's really nothing that forces you to pay at all. It's a WoW clone but it still does enough that is different to make it worth playing, as well as a solid game. TOR is much more difficult to play as a F2P but I found it really fun leveling with another person in TOR as a subcriber. F2P is a scam with TOR though. Play Rift for now, the dungeons are pretty enjoyable.
#4-5xad0w-Posted 2/10/2014 8:04:27 AM
TOR limits you ability to run dungeon style content too much if you are F2P.

Either have to sub to get full access/rewards or buy weekly passes.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#5majinbuu58Posted 2/10/2014 9:32:55 AM
-5xad0w- posted...
TOR limits you ability to run dungeon style content too much if you are F2P.

Either have to sub to get full access/rewards or buy weekly passes.

This. Also the game is designed for you to level by quest. Not to mention more enjoyable due to the storylines
#6dekouPosted 2/10/2014 10:22:23 AM
Rift is the better game, both overall and dungeons wise. That being said, GW2 has plenty of dungeons, too, but they begin at lvl 30. You can level from 30 to max via dungeons alone and they're a pretty good source of income afterwards.
#7Dave40k(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 11:31:39 AM
dekou posted...
Rift is the better game, both overall and dungeons wise. That being said, GW2 has plenty of dungeons, too, but they begin at lvl 30. You can level from 30 to max via dungeons alone and they're a pretty good source of income afterwards.

is there a dungeon queueing system for gw2 yet? i havent played in about 10 months.
#8dekouPosted 2/10/2014 12:14:58 PM(edited)
Dave40k posted...
dekou posted...

is there a dungeon queueing system for gw2 yet? i havent played in about 10 months.

There's a LFG tool now, but it's not automatic and doesn't teleport you. Basically, you've got to select the group you want to join or make your own. I've read there are some people who dislike taking low level characters with them (you can do any dungeon at any level and get decent rewards because of level scaling), but never encountered any personally. Then again, I tend to run dungeons with a guild.

There's also a new bunch of dungeons called Fractals of the Mists, which is GW2's grindy endgame dungeon with tougher enemies meant to appeal to dungeoneering addicts. It's pretty fun, but requires lots of coordination on its higher levels.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals

GW2's main problem isn't the quantity of its dungeons or how long it takes to get to them. It's rather good in that regard. The main problem is that the dungeons themselves are rather dull and easy. ArenaNET promised to rework them, then they reworked one (Ascalonian Catacombs, the first one), quit working on that and went completely silent. The dungeons that were added post-release were quite good, but the originals are still mediocre. Some of them look incredible, though.