This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which i5 processor is best now?

#11popping4itPosted 2/10/2014 11:47:34 AM
Xa3r0x posted...
I've noticed a huge price range from ~$120-$300+ on Z87's. Does it matter which one I get?

i strongly recommend you watch this to prove why mobo doesnt matter that much anymore. so buy based on reliability, feature, and looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuJAOVRoA0
---
whens mahvel?
#12Xa3r0x(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 11:56:24 AM
popping4it posted...
Xa3r0x posted...
I've noticed a huge price range from ~$120-$300+ on Z87's. Does it matter which one I get?

i strongly recommend you watch this to prove why mobo doesnt matter that much anymore. so buy based on reliability, feature, and looks.

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Great video
---
League of Legends - LOL ITS X
steamcommunity.com/id/sarjil
#13aak57Posted 2/10/2014 12:01:26 PM
The really expensive mobos are for people who are really, really into overclocking. You average OCer can do fine with a board that is around $140.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#14Xeeh_BitzPosted 2/10/2014 12:45:25 PM
aak57 posted...
The really expensive mobos are for people who are really, really into overclocking. You average OCer can do fine with a board that is around $140.

Well, the more expensive mobos, such as the Asus models include on board sound is equal or better than some dedicated sound cards, also include other features as well, wireless, Bluetooth, etc.

It really depends on what features you're looking for, but yeah, for the most part the cheap boards can OC just as well, sometimes they're about 100mhz off from the more expensive due to better PWMs, etc..
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#15MasterDonGeroPosted 2/10/2014 1:06:27 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
aak57 posted...

Well, the more expensive mobos, such as the Asus models include on board sound is equal or better than some dedicated sound cards, also include other features as well, wireless, Bluetooth, etc.

It really depends on what features you're looking for, but yeah, for the most part the cheap boards can OC just as well, sometimes they're about 100mhz off from the more expensive due to better PWMs, etc..

I lol'd.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#16Xeeh_BitzPosted 2/10/2014 1:24:12 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
aak57 posted...

I lol'd.

I did also, that you have no ideal what the hell you think you know

"DRAM Power Phase Control can be set to Extreme to keep the active power phase of the DRAM PWM at max for the whole time instead of shutting down a phase when DRAM idles. A setting of Extreme may gain a little more margin for DRAM overclocking when trying to achieve maximum DRAM frequency and or when populating all memory slots."

As an example, another example. How do you think those people get extreme overclocks on the GPUs? Adjust the PWM on the PCI-E

Get bent!
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#17Fear The ClownPosted 2/10/2014 1:48:05 PM
Xa3r0x posted...
And what would be a good/decent mobo to go with it? z77?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135365

There's a link to the MoBo I run with, its at $120 right now. The 3 reviews it has unfortunately do not do it justice since 1 guy received it damaged and I don't think they're that well known under the L337 brand which is basically ECS. I haven't had a single issue with it and it covers everything that I needed including a bunch of USB 3.0 ports. It also looks really good in person. The pictures don't do it justice until its in your hands and you see all of the shiny gold caps on it. Anyways, I was very satisfied at the $105 price point I got it at when it was on sale.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3