This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will this PC be an upgrade or downgrade from my current system?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will this PC be an upgrade or downgrade from my current system?

User Info: chknwngsnbr

chknwngsnbr
2 years ago#1
My mom wants a new computer so I'm thinking about giving her my college laptop and building a new entry-to-mid level gaming PC.

The laptop (2012 Vaio S) has the following specs:
- i5 3210M @2.5GHz
- 640m (OC'd to 650M speeds)
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB Samsung SSD 830

The PC I'm looking to build (Modest in the Logical Increments guide) has the following specs:
- G3220 @3.0GHz
- HD 7700
- 4GB RAM
- 250GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO

---

My budget is around $500 for the new computer. Will my computer's performance be a step up or a step down from my laptop? Also, how much of an increase (or decrease) can I expect?

Thanks!

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
2 years ago#2
Assuming you mean the HD 7770, the GPU will be about 50% better. The CPU will be about the same. You'd be better off moving up to an i3 CPU.
Wow. Very sig. Such original. So words. Wow.

User Info: aak57

aak57
2 years ago#3
...A 250GB SSD in budget build is a really odd choice. I mean SSDs are great, but I would prioritize CPU and GPU over them.
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.

chknwngsnbr
2 years ago#4
Yeah sorry, meant the 7770. Just looked up prices and the 7850 is only $40 more than the 7770 on Newegg ($99 vs $140).

I rarely game on the PC anymore but when I do it's RTS' (SC2 or LoL), so perhaps the i3 is worth it as well.

User Info: SleepComa

SleepComa
2 years ago#5
chknwngsnbr posted...
Yeah sorry, meant the 7770. Just looked up prices and the 7850 is only $40 more than the 7770 on Newegg ($99 vs $140).

I rarely game on the PC anymore but when I do it's RTS' (SC2 or LoL), so perhaps the i3 is worth it as well.

and seriously ditch the SSD man.
*Projectile Vomits* Those prices are fantastic!

chknwngsnbr
2 years ago#6
aak57 posted...
...A 250GB SSD in budget build is a really odd choice. I mean SSDs are great, but I would prioritize CPU and GPU over them.

Once you go SSD you never go back! I definitely need the extra space though, only have about 10GB remaining on my 128GB SSD. :/

User Info: MasterDonGero

MasterDonGero
2 years ago#7
chknwngsnbr posted...
aak57 posted...

Once you go SSD you never go back! I definitely need the extra space though, only have about 10GB remaining on my 128GB SSD. :/

It's not so much the space as it is the price.
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom

User Info: VIP86

VIP86
2 years ago#8
Wants a 250gb ssd, has low budget.......
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
2 years ago#9
VIP86 posted...

Yeah, as great as SSDs are I wouldn't buy one over a better CPU or GPU.
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

chknwngsnbr
2 years ago#10
VIP86 posted...

Yup, I need to adjust my budget a bit. I'd rather throw down $100 more for a better machine than build a system equivalent to my laptop and take a sidestep.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2QV0R
- i3-4130
- HD 7850
- 4GB RAM
- 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

~$600
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Will this PC be an upgrade or downgrade from my current system?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived