This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate this build please

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Rate this build please

User Info: ModernFOXX

ModernFOXX
2 years ago#1
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DonovanR11/saved/3I13

on a scale of 1-10, and please point out if i should make any changes. and btw, would this be hard to build for someone who has never built one before? I have a teacher who could help me i think, and obviously i could watch some tutorial vids but just wondering.
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3

User Info: Altmadragon

Altmadragon
2 years ago#2
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|

ModernFOXX
2 years ago#3
Altmadragon posted...

Could you explain why, or how i could make it better?
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
2 years ago#4
1. Not a fan of liquid cooling.
2. You only need 8GBs of RAM if you are only gaming.
3. Could get a cheaper case.
4. I'd get a GPU that doesn't use a blower-style cooler.
5. PSU is overkill if you are not doing 2 GPUs.
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335

User Info: Altmadragon

Altmadragon
2 years ago#5
ModernFOXX posted...
Altmadragon posted...

why? cause there's better builds.

it's a pretty good build only way to make it better is to add more/higher priced parts. example 4770k/4930k cpu.

edit: no such thing as overkill psu. unless your load is below 20% of the rating of it...
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|

ModernFOXX
2 years ago#6
Altmadragon posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
Altmadragon posted...

why? cause there's better builds.

it's a pretty good build only way to make it better is to add more things.

I was sort of getting at if there was any thing wrong with it. My bad, i didn't mean to come off the wrong way or like a smart a**. Thanks for the rating!

User Info: smelly_boob

smelly_boob
2 years ago#7
While that PSU is pretty good value at $90. You may be able to find a PSU for $60 to 70 that can power a 780 GTX. If it were me I'd be fine with spending $20 more on the PSU to be sure that the system is not going to be pushing your PSU to the limit while gaming. If you are going with a 780 gtx, from what i can tell EVGA recommends at least 42 amps on a single 12v rail.... the psu specs show 60amps on the 12v. just realize that from what I can tell this PSU would not be able to handle two 780 gtx's in SLI

i'd do windows 8.1 but that is your preference.

do you foresee a need for a blu-ray burner? a regular dvd burner is $30 less.

Why liquid cooling? Are you going to push a crazy OC as a first time builder? I would pick a nice air cooler and save some $ on that part.

it's tough to give it a rating, because you've given us no baseline or goal of what you want this PC to do. If you gave us your spending cap people could suggest improvements more easily

edit: forgot that I agree 8gb of ram is fine. if you need more down the road... buy another 2 x 4gb kit of ram to get to 16 gb.

User Info: Fear The Clown

Fear The Clown
2 years ago#8
ModernFOXX posted...

on a scale of 1-10, and please point out if i should make any changes. and btw, would this be hard to build for someone who has never built one before? I have a teacher who could help me i think, and obviously i could watch some tutorial vids but just wondering.

As others have said you need half that amount of RAM. Also, considering you've never 'built' a PC before I'm willing to go out on a limb and tell you that you're paying extra for a heavily featured motherboard that you don't need. Here is a great video on motherboards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuJAOVRoA0 I suggest you watch it and then go grab a motherboard in $100-$120 range, its going to have all the features you'll ever need minus the fluff you'll never touch.

Also, that's a pretty big SSD you're getting considering you are putting in a 3TB HDD. You could easily shave another $80 off and get a 120GB SSD.

Obviously if money is no obstacle then go for it, but it just seems like you threw together a lot of expensive parts without a lot of thought into what you're going to be using them for and if you are really going to use the features they provide that warrant their price tag.

I think you've got about $300-$400 in that thing of stuff you don't need or will hardly take advantage of.
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3

ModernFOXX
2 years ago#9
Fear The Clown posted...
ModernFOXX posted...

As others have said you need half that amount of RAM. Also, considering you've never 'built' a PC before I'm willing to go out on a limb and tell you that you're paying extra for a heavily featured motherboard that you don't need. Here is a great video on motherboards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuJAOVRoA0 I suggest you watch it and then go grab a motherboard in $100-$120 range, its going to have all the features you'll ever need minus the fluff you'll never touch.

Also, that's a pretty big SSD you're getting considering you are putting in a 3TB HDD. You could easily shave another $80 off and get a 120GB SSD.

Obviously if money is no obstacle then go for it, but it just seems like you threw together a lot of expensive parts without a lot of thought into what you're going to be using them for and if you are really going to use the features they provide that warrant their price tag.

I think you've got about $300-$400 in that thing of stuff you don't need or will hardly take advantage of.

Ok thanks. I read somewhere about the whole 8GB Ram is good, but that 12 will be standard in 2-3 years. So i thought why not i guess. I've saved up a little 2000$ and just wanted to go all out. Which is kinda the reason for massive ram and big SSD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DonovanR11/saved/3I13 ----thats a newer one i did, but i could tone back some the things and go for a better monitor i guess. And yea i'm new to pc gaming, and just wanted to go in with a tank. But i wanted advice from people who know what they're doing which is why i ask. I'll watch that vid now.

User Info: shuppet_is_dumb

shuppet_is_dumb
2 years ago#10
If you want to overkill, do it where it matters. Save a bit on the ssd and maybe even the hdd, get a motherboard without any features you'll never use and put the money into a 780 ti
3DS FC: 5370 0434 1134
i5 4670k l Geforce GTX 780ti
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Rate this build please

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived