This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate this build please

#1ModernFOXXPosted 2/10/2014 1:46:40 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DonovanR11/saved/3I13

on a scale of 1-10, and please point out if i should make any changes. and btw, would this be hard to build for someone who has never built one before? I have a teacher who could help me i think, and obviously i could watch some tutorial vids but just wondering.
---
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3
#2AltmadragonPosted 2/10/2014 1:47:53 PM
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#3ModernFOXX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 1:48:47 PM
Altmadragon posted...

Could you explain why, or how i could make it better?
---
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3
#4Lonestar2000Posted 2/10/2014 1:55:56 PM
1. Not a fan of liquid cooling.
2. You only need 8GBs of RAM if you are only gaming.
3. Could get a cheaper case.
4. I'd get a GPU that doesn't use a blower-style cooler.
5. PSU is overkill if you are not doing 2 GPUs.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5AltmadragonPosted 2/10/2014 2:18:53 PM(edited)
ModernFOXX posted...
Altmadragon posted...

why? cause there's better builds.

it's a pretty good build only way to make it better is to add more/higher priced parts. example 4770k/4930k cpu.

edit: no such thing as overkill psu. unless your load is below 20% of the rating of it...
---
Merlin SM8| i7-4770k| Asus MaximusViFormula| AsusDC2 780 SLI| 32GB Kingston HyperX Beast| Seagate 3TB HDD| 250GB Samsung Evo| Swiftech 480x2 rads, Acrylic Loop|
#6ModernFOXX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 2:18:35 PM
Altmadragon posted...
ModernFOXX posted...
Altmadragon posted...

why? cause there's better builds.

it's a pretty good build only way to make it better is to add more things.

I was sort of getting at if there was any thing wrong with it. My bad, i didn't mean to come off the wrong way or like a smart a**. Thanks for the rating!
---
#7smelly_boobPosted 2/10/2014 2:37:18 PM(edited)
While that PSU is pretty good value at $90. You may be able to find a PSU for $60 to 70 that can power a 780 GTX. If it were me I'd be fine with spending $20 more on the PSU to be sure that the system is not going to be pushing your PSU to the limit while gaming. If you are going with a 780 gtx, from what i can tell EVGA recommends at least 42 amps on a single 12v rail.... the psu specs show 60amps on the 12v. just realize that from what I can tell this PSU would not be able to handle two 780 gtx's in SLI

i'd do windows 8.1 but that is your preference.

do you foresee a need for a blu-ray burner? a regular dvd burner is $30 less.

Why liquid cooling? Are you going to push a crazy OC as a first time builder? I would pick a nice air cooler and save some $ on that part.

it's tough to give it a rating, because you've given us no baseline or goal of what you want this PC to do. If you gave us your spending cap people could suggest improvements more easily

edit: forgot that I agree 8gb of ram is fine. if you need more down the road... buy another 2 x 4gb kit of ram to get to 16 gb.
#8Fear The ClownPosted 2/10/2014 2:35:25 PM
ModernFOXX posted...

on a scale of 1-10, and please point out if i should make any changes. and btw, would this be hard to build for someone who has never built one before? I have a teacher who could help me i think, and obviously i could watch some tutorial vids but just wondering.

As others have said you need half that amount of RAM. Also, considering you've never 'built' a PC before I'm willing to go out on a limb and tell you that you're paying extra for a heavily featured motherboard that you don't need. Here is a great video on motherboards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuJAOVRoA0 I suggest you watch it and then go grab a motherboard in $100-$120 range, its going to have all the features you'll ever need minus the fluff you'll never touch.

Also, that's a pretty big SSD you're getting considering you are putting in a 3TB HDD. You could easily shave another $80 off and get a 120GB SSD.

Obviously if money is no obstacle then go for it, but it just seems like you threw together a lot of expensive parts without a lot of thought into what you're going to be using them for and if you are really going to use the features they provide that warrant their price tag.

I think you've got about $300-$400 in that thing of stuff you don't need or will hardly take advantage of.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#9ModernFOXX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 3:04:57 PM
Fear The Clown posted...
ModernFOXX posted...

As others have said you need half that amount of RAM. Also, considering you've never 'built' a PC before I'm willing to go out on a limb and tell you that you're paying extra for a heavily featured motherboard that you don't need. Here is a great video on motherboards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeuJAOVRoA0 I suggest you watch it and then go grab a motherboard in $100-$120 range, its going to have all the features you'll ever need minus the fluff you'll never touch.

Also, that's a pretty big SSD you're getting considering you are putting in a 3TB HDD. You could easily shave another $80 off and get a 120GB SSD.

Obviously if money is no obstacle then go for it, but it just seems like you threw together a lot of expensive parts without a lot of thought into what you're going to be using them for and if you are really going to use the features they provide that warrant their price tag.

I think you've got about $300-$400 in that thing of stuff you don't need or will hardly take advantage of.

Ok thanks. I read somewhere about the whole 8GB Ram is good, but that 12 will be standard in 2-3 years. So i thought why not i guess. I've saved up a little 2000$ and just wanted to go all out. Which is kinda the reason for massive ram and big SSD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DonovanR11/saved/3I13 ----thats a newer one i did, but i could tone back some the things and go for a better monitor i guess. And yea i'm new to pc gaming, and just wanted to go in with a tank. But i wanted advice from people who know what they're doing which is why i ask. I'll watch that vid now.
---
#10shuppet_is_dumbPosted 2/14/2014 3:41:05 AM
If you want to overkill, do it where it matters. Save a bit on the ssd and maybe even the hdd, get a motherboard without any features you'll never use and put the money into a 780 ti
---
3DS FC: 5370 0434 1134
i5 4670k l Geforce GTX 780ti