This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A professor told me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials for Norton

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A professor told me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials for Norton
3 years ago#1
I don't know much about anti-virus software, but I was under the impression that Norton was pretty much total garbage.
3 years ago#2
It is, but then again av software isn't really necessary as long as you are careful with sites you go to.
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
3 years ago#3
Norton was annoying as **** last time i used it. MSE is nice and out of the way.
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
3 years ago#4
Norton really isn't good unless you have no common sense at all. When I had norton, it was horrible. All of my steam games were getting blocked, my hard drive sounded like it was going mad, and it was super resource hungry.

I recommend just an occasional malwarebytes scan.
is haha
3 years ago#5
I'm not worried about getting viruses, I was just curious if he's right. He's kind of full of himself.

He said any free software (malwarebytes, MSE, Avast, etc.) is awful.
3 years ago#6
Many antivirus sites and overall computer sites have listed the most modern versions of Norton as actually quite good, along with being pretty light on system resources.

Ironically, it is a bit of too little too late since their reputation as an antivirus is pretty bad due to past renditions.
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @900MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
3 years ago#7
Well it is alright but MSE and Windows Defender are non intrusive unlike all the other anti virus software.
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
3 years ago#8
when the developers themselves tell people to uninstall their program,i think you should listen to them and uninstall mse
3 years ago#9
urtv posted...
when the developers themselves tell people to uninstall their program,i think you should listen to them and uninstall mse

Wait, Microsoft said to uninstall MSE?
3 years ago#10
Many antivirus sites and overall computer sites have listed the most modern versions of Norton as actually quite good, along with being pretty light on system resources.

It's actually a really good antivirus now, and I use it on my main PC. Doesn't block games, take up too many resources, etc.

I never tried the really old versions of it, but from what I heard it was pretty bad.

Currently, I'd rank it highly, and highly recommend it.
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A professor told me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials for Norton

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived