This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A professor told me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials for Norton

#1TheSchrefPosted 2/10/2014 7:40:14 PM
I don't know much about anti-virus software, but I was under the impression that Norton was pretty much total garbage.
#2datopgamerPosted 2/10/2014 7:41:28 PM
It is, but then again av software isn't really necessary as long as you are careful with sites you go to.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#3my_name_is_EdPosted 2/10/2014 7:42:12 PM
Norton was annoying as **** last time i used it. MSE is nice and out of the way.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#4Blobs_Posted 2/10/2014 7:42:40 PM
Norton really isn't good unless you have no common sense at all. When I had norton, it was horrible. All of my steam games were getting blocked, my hard drive sounded like it was going mad, and it was super resource hungry.

I recommend just an occasional malwarebytes scan.
---
is haha
#5TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 7:44:50 PM(edited)
I'm not worried about getting viruses, I was just curious if he's right. He's kind of full of himself.

He said any free software (malwarebytes, MSE, Avast, etc.) is awful.
#6TiamatKillerPosted 2/10/2014 7:44:20 PM
Many antivirus sites and overall computer sites have listed the most modern versions of Norton as actually quite good, along with being pretty light on system resources.

Ironically, it is a bit of too little too late since their reputation as an antivirus is pretty bad due to past renditions.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @900MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#7MaKhaosPosted 2/10/2014 7:48:23 PM
Well it is alright but MSE and Windows Defender are non intrusive unlike all the other anti virus software.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#8urtvPosted 2/10/2014 7:50:28 PM
when the developers themselves tell people to uninstall their program,i think you should listen to them and uninstall mse
#9TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 7:52:21 PM
urtv posted...
when the developers themselves tell people to uninstall their program,i think you should listen to them and uninstall mse

Wait, Microsoft said to uninstall MSE?
#10electroflamePosted 2/10/2014 7:57:11 PM
Many antivirus sites and overall computer sites have listed the most modern versions of Norton as actually quite good, along with being pretty light on system resources.

It's actually a really good antivirus now, and I use it on my main PC. Doesn't block games, take up too many resources, etc.

I never tried the really old versions of it, but from what I heard it was pretty bad.

Currently, I'd rank it highly, and highly recommend it.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame