This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is AMD going to kill off their "big" CPUs?

#1Bazooka_PenguinPosted 2/11/2014 12:30:42 AM(edited)
Third party fabs are all moving to cater to low-power mobile parts (ARM) and clearly AMD has had problems with Global Foundry in manufacturing their CPU/APUs. Just look at Kaveri, it clocks notably lower than Steamroller on a smaller process and yet its power consumption isn't a significantly better than Steamroller. Intel doesn't have this problem, because they control the most advanced fabs on the planet.

With the release of Mantle and the lack of Steamroller FX CPUs for the foreseeable future I think AMD is going to move to ARM and low-power x86 permanently. Also, if HSA becomes common AMD could neuter or remove FP units from their CPUs and let the GPU do all the work.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#2GTRagnarokPosted 2/11/2014 12:43:04 AM
Seems inevitable to me. Their desktop CPUs have been so stagnant and are so far behind Intel at this point. Consider this: the 3770K is 160mm^2 with a third of that taken up by the integrated graphics. So the actual CPU part is little more than 100mm^2. On the other hand, AMD's "8 core" FX-8350 is 3x bigger at 315mm^2. Yet, the 3770K outperforms it in nearly every situation while consuming a lot less power. Just think about that.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. So words. Wow.
#3Flaktrooper123Posted 2/11/2014 12:53:39 AM
Not sure what their business strategy is. Not sure why they held back the FX version of Kaveri. They could probably start to catch up with intel that way.
#4Unsugarized_FooPosted 2/11/2014 1:01:04 AM
I hope not. More competition the better.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#5Bazooka_Penguin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 1:01:25 AM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
Not sure what their business strategy is. Not sure why they held back the FX version of Kaveri. They could probably start to catch up with intel that way.

I think it is because AMD already knows that they're going to stop making big chips in the future and that putting a ton of money into FX chips is a waste of resources, especially when they won't even sell very well. Kaveri only exists to test drive HSA technologies until they can make something smaller and more efficient.

You know, AMD already said they aren't going to be competing with Intel and I think they were very serious about it. Some info suggested that Beema/Mullins will be HSA compliant, so who knows what will happen after Excavator. Considering that AMD wants to achieve low TDP with their Carrizo APUs it may very well be that AMD's big CPU designs will be cannibalized or merged into their low power CPU designs that are based on Bobcat/Jaguar.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#6lightningbugxPosted 2/11/2014 1:59:59 AM
AMD might be looking at a mainstream desktop version of the ARM architecture.
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/11/2014 2:26:45 AM
I think their architecture is moving towards doubling the GPU stream processors as FP units for the CPU. That seemed to be the design goal to me anyway, and it makes the most sense. Even low-end GPUs walk all over CPUs in terms of floating point performance.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#8staticxtreme5Posted 2/11/2014 5:43:51 AM
This topic is quickly convincing me to just go with an i5 in my build, rather than an AMD CPU. Was debating Kaveri A10, FX 6300, or Athlon x4 650.
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/11/2014 5:47:42 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
This topic is quickly convincing me to just go with an i5 in my build, rather than an AMD CPU. Was debating Kaveri A10, FX 6300, or Athlon x4 650.

So you were debating a bunch of super budget CPUs, one of which shouldn't cost more than $50, and one of which should only be used without a DGPU, against i5?
Yeah, i5 is the way to go.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#10staticxtreme5Posted 2/11/2014 8:00:37 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...

So you were debating a bunch of super budget CPUs, one of which shouldn't cost more than $50, and one of which should only be used without a DGPU, against i5?
Yeah, i5 is the way to go.

Well, sort of. Yeah I realize that the AMD options I was considering were more budget friendly than the i5s, but I've been debating if its even worth it to save money on it since the i5 seems to blow them away. I'll probably save money in the long run by not having to buy a new CPU and possibly Motherboard as soon. Its just kinda hard to fit the i5 in my budget of $700 to $800 max (including having to buy Windows). One good thing is I don't need a monitor I guess..

What I'm saying is I may have to splurge and go with the i5 and screw my budget by $100 or so to get the gaming PC that I want.