This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BioWare transitioned from an RPG company to a cinematic romance simulator maker

#31ElDudorinoPosted 2/13/2014 6:10:34 PM
Yeah, I feel like Bioware has gone way, way downhill. The extremely forced 'romances' in their games are actually kind of jarring, and the character stories have frankly gotten a little pathetic. The last one I played was Mass Effect 2 and I found it laughable that every party member had EXACTLY one skeleton in their closet for you to discover in order for them to be "loyal" to you. The conversation wheel has gotten REALLY old, too. It tells you one or two words about the "tone" of your response but then the response ends up being nothing like what you thought it would be. Just give me the actual freaking dialogue choice, like in the old days. And I agree 100% about voice acting: it's nice, but it limits dialogue too much, so I feel like a story will never be as deep as the older ones.

Whatever, though. My life will go on. I kickstarted the upcoming Torment game and from the updates they keep sending I really feel like it's going to be awesome. And there's that upcoming Obsidian one, too!
#32Hi CPosted 2/13/2014 6:16:53 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
What can you tell me about the reapers?

Weren't written by Black Isle that's for sure.
---
You'll be my John G.
#33clowningPosted 2/13/2014 6:21:56 PM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Bioware was never good at RPG systems. All RPGs that had good systems from them where licensed ones.

This right here. DA and ME were Bioware's first games. All they did before those was story writing and coding someone else's game system.

Bioware is probably the most over rated game developer of all time.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#34GynthaeresPosted 2/13/2014 7:51:55 PM
BakuraGorn posted...
Come on, Bioware's only true fail was Dragon Age 2. They seem to be redeeming themselves with Inquisition.

ME3 was a good follow up to the series up until the last mission as a whole. But there's some moments like the krogan homeworld mission or the Cerberus base assault that really do stand out. You gotta give them some props for that too.

Their only true fail was DA2? I dunno... the overhyped-but-utterly-generic Dragon Age Origins ranks up there for me, I thought that game was a major disappointment. Also ranking up there is the colossal trainwreck of an ending with Mass Effect 3 that was never actually fixed (and while the Krogan homeworld was cool, I hated the Cerberus base assault with a passion). And then the again over-hyped disaster of The Old Republic. And the glorified modding tools of Neverwinter Nights.

Feels like they've had a few fails to me. Kinda surprises me that people are expecting Inquisition to be any good, or that they're looking forward to it.

BendoHendo posted...
And I hate it: the romances, color-coded dialog wheel, binary morality, shallow Choice and consequence

Bioware has never done morality well. Their systems for that have always been terrible. They've never really done choice and consequence particularly well either. These things are not new.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#35noimnoturdaddyPosted 2/13/2014 7:54:46 PM
They've been a romance-simulator maker ever since Baldur's Gate 2.
#36noimnoturdaddyPosted 2/13/2014 7:56:12 PM
dekou posted...
Luckily, we've got Obsidian, Larian and CDPR.

Great games hamstrung by bugs, cheap hack-and-slash games, and sex scenes.

What each developer is known for, respectively.
#37blakegallowayPosted 2/13/2014 8:09:08 PM
foodeater4 posted...
I think you guys are over reacting. Bioware has provided many years and hours of entertainment and they released one high profile dud, being Dragon Age 2. And of course the ME3 ending controversy, but the rest of the game was pretty good, but they probably could have spent more time on it and make it completely epic, but whats done is done.

Dragon Age 3 looks pretty awesome so far. Lets see how that turns out before we go crazy.

Without getting into the "DAE hate EA" hype, this is the best answer. I would wager most people hating on BioWare didn't do so until after DA 2. Before that, KOTOR was their all time favorite game.
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.
#38ShadowThaReaperPosted 2/13/2014 9:21:12 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
Great games hamstrung by bugs, cheap hack-and-slash games, and sex scenes.

There's nothing wrong with sex scenes. Go back to your SJW hole.

blakegalloway posted...
Without getting into the "DAE hate EA" hype,

Go back to Reddit with the rest of the EA apologists.
#39rpgianPosted 2/13/2014 9:37:55 PM
Don't fear the reaper. Like a good supporting detail they are just minding their own business walking from his bedroom to his kitchen in a set path.
#40Born LuckyPosted 2/13/2014 9:52:10 PM
CommonJoe posted...
Yep, the two big mainstream RPG companies (beth and Bioware) have gone to crap.

Can't argue with that.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot