This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would gaming be better without EA?

#6160fpsPosted 2/12/2014 9:41:53 AM
arleas posted...
I would miss Dragon Age and Star Wars: Battlefront.

What happened to THQ's assets when THQ went under? Did Saints Row just disappear? Did they just trash "The Stick of Truth"? No.. they got sold off to other companies and that's what would happen if EA died tomorrow. You'd still get all their games they have now only they'd be published by companies that weren't as bad as EA.

If the question was "What if EA never existed?" then it'd be a different story.

Actually a lot of THQ's games are in limbo. Darksiders and Red Faction may never get sequels ever again and plenty of other THQ games even if they do get another go may be by entirely different devs and nothing like the originals.

I'd miss Dead Space.
---
https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/427269416791728128/photo/1
#62pothocketPosted 2/12/2014 9:48:41 AM
Orestes417 posted...
arleas posted...
I would miss Dragon Age and Star Wars: Battlefront.

...You'd still get all their games they have now only they'd be published by companies that weren't as bad as EA....

That's the sort of assumption that has a habit of biting you in the ass, hard.

Not only that, I don't know how he can even have this logic of "well all their present and future games will still get released anyways so it wouldn't matter" while also thinking "but games in the past actually did depend on EA"

That's called doublethink
#63TrueGBPosted 2/12/2014 10:13:23 AM
In terms of going bankrupt now and going away, then yes, they're not helping the industry.

In terms of the topic title and erasing EA completely from existence as if they never were, no, they were a key part of helping the industry get off the ground.

It's actually too bad. They did a lot of good during the EA Partners era, around the time of last gen's launch, when they helped launch games like Dead Space. They CAN do a lot of good when they want to.
---
Future Billionaire
#64DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/12/2014 10:15:47 AM
pothocket posted...
atopp399 posted...
johnny_pay posted...
Ea are a major publisher and a necessary evil to valve. People like to think that ea force developers to rush out games and nickel and dime the people who buy their games but ea doesn't. Its a developer's choice. You just have to look at the recent capcom dlc sale on steam to see its an industry standard.

Wrong. EA pays the bills, they make the major decisions.

Stop blowing smoke. You don't know ****.

It's true, though. Publisher has a lot of influence over game development. EA certainly does rush games out.(see: basically every EA published game made, notable examples: battlefield 3, 4, crysis, 2, 3)
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#65hellslingerPosted 2/12/2014 10:18:55 AM
And this is why you should never listen to gamers on a message boards. I mean seriously people.

If EA just went under the industry would be hurting for years because EA is one of the biggest publishers and funders in the industry. Without them then there are dozens upon dozens of developers that would no longer have a publisher and as big as others are like Activision and 2K are they couldn't pick them up. There would be dozens if not hundreds of titles that would be in limbo, cancelled and all sorts of things. Thousands of people would be out of the job. Services that games are tied to are now gone with people not having access to their games.

The stupidity here is amazing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/0nnGT1c.jpg
3DS FC - 3067-5153-3741
#66Orestes417Posted 2/12/2014 10:24:10 AM
I don't see BF3 as being rushed. Flawed in it's design compromises due to consoles sure. Guilty of trying a few game mechanics and balance tweaks that didn't quite work as well as they could've? Yeah I'll agree with that. But the dev cycle was on par with pretty much every other Battlefield.

Now BF4 on the other hand, that could've dealt with another three months or so of polish.
---
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
#67Kokuei05Posted 2/12/2014 10:26:23 AM
No. Games are for leisure and entertainment. EA makes good games. Scrap those games off the market and you'll realize how many of those games EA made/published were of the best you spent your time.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRqKYXcL-2U
#68-5xad0w-Posted 2/12/2014 10:27:11 AM
Teh_Dr_Phil posted...
The people that would say yes are the dimwits who know nothing about the industry in general.

Hey, don't make fun of those people.

They are also the ones constantly fueling the so-called "console war".
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#69Freelance_WolfPosted 2/12/2014 10:41:39 AM
I like EA games, so no.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#70_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 2/12/2014 10:43:47 AM
Not sure. No matter how you look at it, they have published some of my all time favorite games, though I should really credit the developer for that, and perhaps those games would have been made anyway, just with a different publisher.

The other thing is that with big publishers like this come big budgets, and AAA games. Games nowadays cost so much to make that there are only few developing studios who can do so without the financial backing of a publisher (like Blizzard or Valve, who are also their own publisher). The negative side of this is of course that the games they invest in, they also have influence over (when it is released, what kind of DLC it will have and so on).
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Deathadder 3.5G full gloss | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H