This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would gaming be better without EA?

#71xenosaga123Posted 2/12/2014 10:48:28 AM
EA is still relevant because of EA UFC. So they still have their uses.
#72EnmaDaio2588Posted 2/12/2014 11:33:50 AM
Hard to say one way or another. I would assume we would be getting the same kinds of games but I don't think the industry would be nearly as anti-consumer as it is today. If nothing else, Mass Effect 3 wouldn't have nickle-and-dimed for the Prothean character and, Sim City would have given the option to be played online. I can only assume so anyway.
---
I had a dream of my wife...She was dead but, it was OK...
#73MilenninPosted 2/12/2014 11:39:28 AM
Without the bad, there can't be the good.

Therefore it's ok for EA to exist.
---
3DS FC: 3351 - 4188 - 0149
Pokemon Y IGN: Roth
#74steker16Posted 2/12/2014 11:43:00 AM
EA forces origin and releases the same game every year and people cry like *****es

Valve forces steam yet everyone loves them

Nintendo releases the same thing every year yet people love them

sounds to me like people hate on them because its the "cool" thing to do and they are just sheep following the herd of crying children
#75matu90rkPosted 2/12/2014 11:53:20 AM
steker16 posted...
EA forces origin and releases the same game every year and people cry like *****es

Valve forces steam yet everyone loves them

Nintendo releases the same thing every year yet people love them

sounds to me like people hate on them because its the "cool" thing to do and they are just sheep following the herd of crying children

Of those 3, the only games that interest me are on Steam (and some third-party titles for the 3DS). And also EA is known for buying dev teams and turning them into crap, like BioWare.
#76Orestes417Posted 2/12/2014 11:55:23 AM
I actually don't blame EA for most of the dev teams they've supposedly turned to crap. In almost every case there was evidence of that direction well before EA was involved. Worst you can say is EA tossed money at them and they destroyed themselves with it.
---
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
#77PhilOnDezPosted 2/12/2014 11:58:01 AM
Honestly, without EA games would probably cost $100 at release at this point. When the NES released and basically revitalized gaming Nintendo had a monopoly on cartridge manufacture and distribution. They charged you to print your game when they felt like printing it and if they didn't like it it never made it to market. They told devs what they could charge and took a massive, massive cut of the profits.

The SNES and Genesis basically had the exact same publishing setup. EA couldn't afford the hits they would have taken to publish on the genesis and Sega's response was basically "If you don't like the way we do business you're welcome to make the carts yourself" knowing good and well that they were the only company with the tech and plans to make the carts. EA actually took the time to reverse engineer the genesis and proceeded to make their own cartridges. If you have a place that carries genesis games nearby take a look through, the EA games are immediately recognizable as the ones that look funny because they're the ones that weren't manufactured by Sega.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#78ActionButlerPosted 2/12/2014 11:59:00 AM
No, but EA (and, by association, gaming as a whole) would be better without EA's current pool of executives.
---
3DS FC - 0232-9323-9187
#79Orestes417Posted 2/12/2014 12:00:57 PM
ActionButler posted...
No, but EA (and, by association, gaming as a whole) would be better without EA's current pool of executives.

Now that I can get behind.
---
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
#80Majoras_pantsPosted 2/12/2014 12:03:22 PM
No.

there's just be less games.

Having a bunch of games that you don't like on the market doesn't make gaming worse. It just means the market appeals to less people. Every market gets attention, no matter what kind of games you like. Too many games you don't like out there? Stop playing them. Problem solved.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer